Topic

New pack or not?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Mark Stalbird

@off-road

Hi…new member here.

Trying to get a feel for whats cool,trying to fit in to this UL movement.

I have an older Gregory Forester pack that weighs slightly over 5lbs but has been incredibly comfortable and funtional.
    I've upgraded all my older gear to new and light and have my loaded pack weight "week-end" down to 23lbs,the only thing left to upgrade is my pack but having trouble parting with this 4800ci pack.

Suggestions?

John Brochu

@johnnybgood4

Locale: New Hampshire

If I was you I would look at the ULA and Six Moon Designs line of packs. They both have models that could save you 2.5 to 3 pounds while still allowing you to comfortably carry loads in the range you mentioned.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Consider the ULA Ohm and Gossamer Gear Gorilla. Both packs have light frames and are under 1.5 lbs.

Zack Karas
    BPL Member

@iwillchopyouhotmail-com

Locale: Lake Tahoe

Cut off all the bells and whistles and anything else not absolutely necessary. See how much weight that takes off the pack, then decide if you can live with that or if you want a new pack. You'll probably be able to remove a pound or two.

Jang-Tian Shieh(Syoten)
    BPL Member

@syoten

Locale: Taiwan

I'd suggest SMD comet to people who just started to go UL. Though comet is already discontinued, I think starlite has similar features. The two thin aluminum stays combining a folded pad is excellent. The only thing I altered the pack is to add a upper pad sleeve and reduced the space of lower sleeve. The altered sleeves is able to hold thinner and longer pad I used to use. The pad as long as the pack frame make the load lifter more efficient. This pack is not that ultralight but it holds weight very well. I can even carry upto 35 lbs comfortably. Another feature which not many light packs have is the adjustable torso length. It really helps to make the pack more comfortable.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools