Topic

Thorofare, Yellowstone NP

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Thorofare, Yellowstone NP

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    John Mowery

@mow

Locale: Minnesota, USA

A friend of mine and I are hiking the Thorofare trail late this summer. Our route follows the Thorofare trail south out of the park, past Bridger Lake and up over Two Oceans Pass. Any suggestions?

William Wright

@farstar

Take flyrods.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Take HEADNETS.

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

I’ve spent a lot of time in there. The area is pretty cool, lotsa wildlife and it’s a real-deal wilderness environment.

Headnets – yes, but by that time of year (late july) things are calming down a bit. The most horrendous mosquitos i’ve ever seen in the lower 48 were around there. THe mountain passes are much less of a bug “hell” than along the river.

Also – the park service requires you camp in designated camp sites. Now, that said – “stealth” camping where you need to would be really easy around there. It can be really hard to plan on where you’re gunna end up when hiking a long trip.

Now, I’m not giving any advice here (y’know, the leagal thing) BUT, get a permit, make your best guess as to a campsite and have that written on the piece of paper. If you don’t actually camp at the exact site they want you in – (MAYBE) you’ll be asked by a ranger (MAYBE) you saw grizzly tracks near the campsite and (MAYBE) you chose not to camp there and (maybe) thats what you can tell the backcountry ranger, who is most probably really nice and won’t even ask.

The camping zones are NOT an issue outside the park boundary.

and – Take bear spray.

peace,
    M!

John Mowery

@mow

Locale: Minnesota, USA

Thanks Mike. We’re headed that way around the first of September, so bugs should be way down.

Any favorite fishing spots I need to see?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools