Topic

Trail Food Question (Scout?)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Scouting Backpacking Light with Scouts Trail Food Question (Scout?)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Mark Maritz
    BPL Member

@mmaritz

Locale: Rural Eastern Cape

Hi All

I am wanting to make up a "daily ration pack" for a school outing (wild camping) and need ideas guidance as to what can/need/is good for a 14/15 year old for a days food. Needs to be interesting as well as cover off the daily food requirements in a South Africa (10-30 degree C temp range) climate.

A Meal List (B/L/S with snacks) would be great…

Thanks
    Mark

JASON CUZZETTO
    BPL Member

@cuzzettj

Locale: NorCal - South Bay

Check Out Troop 676 food guide for the patrol.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/backpackinglight/t676-elements/t676_backpacking_meal_guide.pdf

This gives a good idea of what was taught at the course.

Jason

Unknown abc

@edude

I am wanting to make up a "daily ration pack" for a school outing (wild camping) and need ideas guidance as to what can/need/is good for a 14/15 year old for a days food.

Why not have em' split up into patrols and be in charge of their own food? It sounds like your group isn't necessarily Boy Scouts but you can easily teach these guys the patrol/team/crew method and have them use it. If there is limited money, have em' do something like a car wash/bake sale to raise some easy cash.

The best way to make the boys happy with the food is to put them in charge of it. Make them do the planning/fund raising, and make them do the cooking! All the adults should have to do is supervise, not necessarily be in control, esp. if you have older, responsible boys who can take on a leadership role in this.

just my 2 cents :)

happy camping!

Brian Barnes
    BPL Member

@brianjbarnes

Locale: Midwest
    dirk foster

@dirkyf

its important to keep food and perishables dry while packing. there are a variety of bags u can use to for food, like zip lock baggies. i prefer re-pac reusable bags. they're light weight and are made from nylon so they dont leak and seem to protect food really well for long periods of time. you can buy them on line.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools