Topic

What ONLINE mapping software do you use?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique What ONLINE mapping software do you use?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Bob Gabbart

@bobg

I'm interested in finding out what online services are available for creating maps for hiking. I'm not interested in comercial software like National Geogrphic TOPO, Delorme Topo, MyTopo, etc. I'm looking for something simliar to NG TOPO to let me create custom maps based on USGS quads, but something that is preferably free. I know that the quads are available free to download but I'm looking more for something that allows me to view the maps in a seamless fashion, plan out routes, view elevation profiles, and then generate and download a custom maps. Anyone know of something like this??

Thanks!
    Bob

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

not for free, no.

Michael Keller

@qm1pooh

I just went through a long two week search looking for exactly what you're seeking. While there are a lot of free maps out there, printing is the big problem if you want a scale, north arrow etc.

I ended up with the Delorme Topo USA 8.0, and for the price I find it works really well. The Nat'l Geo Topo! stuff has a better interface, but it's really only cost effective if you hike in a limited geographical area.

backpackerchick
    BPL Member

@backpackerchick

Amazing customer support! The founder answers all my emails promptly with detailed solutions to my problems.

Roger B
    BPL Member

@rogerb

Locale: Denmark

MacGPS pro, none better.

Kier Selinsky

@kieran

Locale: Seattle, WA

Not to hijack the thread, but I've been wondering in a similar vein about open source (or just free) desktop topo mapping apps? I haven't found any yet… hard to believe there aren't any

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

Try mapper.acme.com

Not feature rich and not complete in some remote areas, but it is free and in most areas seamless.

Acronym Esq
    BPL Member

@acronym-esq

Locale: TX

USGS will allow you to dl/print seamless maps, but it won't do route plans. That interface is horrible; I had to play with it a lot to get what I wanted.

acronym 11/5/2009 11:33 PM

backpackerchick
    BPL Member

@backpackerchick

Nothing wrong with actually paying for awesome software. MacGPS Pro support is amazing. I'm a real novice and the founder actually looks at the files and maps I am having issues with and tells me EXACTLY how to proceed. I have never had this kind of service with any software. MacGPS has received rave reviews from the geek mags and blogs!

Bob Gabbart

@bobg

The problem with mapper.acme.com is the same as many sites I've seen. They use the free USGS tile servers (probably from Teraserver). This data seems to be missing some tiles. Try to zoom in on Wanda Lake in the Sierras. There isn't anything there at the higher zoom levels.

MacGPS Pro has the same issue as NG Topo – They charge you by the state for the maps – about $50/state. This can really start to add up. Although I don't have a problem paying for the software, I do have a problem paying for this data since it is compiled by USGS is freely available online.

Keith Selbo
    Spectator

@herman666

Locale: Northern Virginia

I think this needs a small caveat that would be helpful for PC owners reading this thread. You need to purchase a PC accessory in order to run this software. It's called a MAC and it's not inexpensive.

Mark Maritz
    BPL Member

@mmaritz

Locale: Rural Eastern Cape

Hi

I use OziExplorer and find it great for the price.

http://www.oziexplorer.com/

Regards
    Mark

Justin McMinn

@akajut

Locale: Central Oklahoma

everytrail.com does everything you you are looking for. The only issue with everytrail is that you can no longer use the USGS maps to draw your route out. You only have the choice of Google map, satellite, and terrain.

gpsvisualizer.com has some nice features such as elevation profiles, gps file conversion, and a great selection of maps.

postholer.com have some great shaded relief topo maps. Best maps to do research with.

I generally draw my route in my Garmin software or in Google Earth with a topo map overlay. The topo overlays are a pain because you have to download each quad separately.

Nate Davis
    BPL Member

@knaight

Locale: Western Massachusetts

I've bought a few maps from mytopo.com and I think they're an excellent value. Weatherproof, tear resistant USGS maps pinpointed on the location you want for just a few bucks? Fantastic.

On a related note, has anyone used mapmyhike.com? I don't think you can print from there, but I really like the idea of the website. It's more of a training/fitness thing, but you map out your hikes there and keep a regular training log, and the site keeps track of your progress as far as time, weight loss, and calories burned goes. It's worth checking out.

Bryian Sheets

@shastafarian

This site has worked well for me: http://www.digital-topo-maps.com/
    Only problem I've run into is the print out is not always a good representation of the preview.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools