Topic

Bright Orange Cuben

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Bright Orange Cuben

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jack Newton

@figster

Locale: Central Arkansas

Its hunting season. All of Arkansas' great trails run through a handful of walk in turkey hunting areas and are all subject to general hunting during hunting season. Of the 3 million folks who live in Arkansas, two million of them will be out drawing down on deer.

Does anyone have any bright orange cuben (if such a beast exists) that can stitch together a pack cover for a Zilch or perhaps even stitch up a bright orange sub 1600 cui pack?

Is dying an option?

Thanks,

Jack

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

i think they do make orange cuben but it won't be bright as the translucent properties of the cuben will allow to much light to penetrate for a bright shiny color to be seen for miles. However OWFINC sells blaze orange silnylon you could easily make a pack cover with. Or just a square to attach to your pack (12×12) and another to attach to your front.

-Tim

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> blaze orange silnylon you could easily make a pack cover with. Or just a square to
    > attach to your pack (12×12) and another to attach to your front.

This is meant as a sort of target, right?

Cheers

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

Kinda like Tim said. For a pack that small, the weight difference between sil and cuben will be negligible, and the sil will be brighter. I'm sure I've seen blaze at either OWF or Quest…

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

I'd wear an orange hat too. Just so you have it on when you take your pack off.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Those cheap blaze orange vests from Wallyworld weigh next to nothing, I'd just tie one on.

Jeff Antig

@antig

Locale: Pacific Northwest

"Is dying an option?"

By "dying" I'm assuming you're talking about dying the fabric, not getting shot. If that's the case, you really don't want to mess with trying to dye cuben or nylon.

I think it would be a better idea and easier to wear brightly colored clothing. Bright orange cuben will only take you so far since it is translucent; it won't be very bright even if it is blaze orange. Why not silnylon?

Zachary Crane
    BPL Member

@zcrane

Locale: Midwest, USA

I picked up an Outdoor Research Radar Pocket Cap in orange for just this purpose. At 1.2oz it's a nice piece of gear.

Now, I'm working on a silnylon packcover.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools