Topic

What do you get when you cross Henry Shires, Ron Moak, and Ron Bell?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) What do you get when you cross Henry Shires, Ron Moak, and Ron Bell?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

I dunno either, but I'd be interested in what could come out of a brainstorming session between those three! Maybe a MLD DuoMid with a Shires' sewn in floor and perimeter netting? Maybe a SMD Wild Oasis with a full no-see-um door? What do you think?

Disclaimer: In no way do I intend to insult any of these fine gear makers by comparing them (yet again on these forums), nor do I intend this thread to become a "who's better" conversation. Each of the makers has added many valuable ideas, innovations, and healthy competition to the market, and have earned their place in the industry.

Now, with that said, what kind of "dream shelters" would you like to see?!

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I know that some of them get together once a year and go hiking. They call it the "brain trust" hike, and I think that is a great thing. All of these people have done great things for the UL community and have great ideas. I don't know for sure what they share during the hikes, but it has to benefit us as consumers.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

I think that to the extent that all these cottage manufacturers are well aware of each others products and design innovations, that there would be little gain to having them brainstorm. For instance if MLD wanted to add a sewn in floor to their duomid they would have already done it. I'm sure if there were enough requests for this addition they would offer it as an option.

My dream shelter would be a Double Rainbow made out of 0.6oz cuben (at a reasonable price of course).

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

> I'm sure if there were enough requests for this addition they would offer it as an option.

Good point Lynn. I think its easy for many of us to overlook that and simply think, "that'd be really cool if they made a shelter with X specifications. Why wouldn't they offer it that way?"

I wonder what the market would be for a custom maker? Unfortuntately, probably not too cost effective for anyone…

Jeff Patrick
    BPL Member

@callmeammo

a poncho/tarp with detachable bug netting and floor that attaches to itself and a sit pad to become a frameless backpack.

The cold weather version could include an insulation layer for under the poncho that becomes a sleeping quilt(like the no sniveler but more like Tim's Epiphany-we'll call it the miracle) at night and doubles as your jacket during the day.

Who wants to make me one?

Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."

Light as cuben, strong as ripstop, roomy, bugproof, well ventilated, condensation-free, 30 second setup in the rain. Add a Star-Trek transportation device for a quick trip to Arby's and a weight under 10 oz, and I might quit my job, abandon my family, and head for the mountains.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

We have a custom maker on BPL, Tim Marshall.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"Light as cuben, strong as ripstop, roomy, bugproof, well ventilated, condensation-free, 30 second setup in the rain. Add a Star-Trek transportation device for a quick trip to Arby's and a weight under 10 oz"

Wait a sec …. I think I have one of those in my gear room….

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

>We have a custom maker on BPL, Tim Marshall.

Well I'll be derned! My momma was right when she told me I'd learn something new every day!

Not that I'm in the position to shell out $$ for custom gear at the moment, but if I were to ask for a shelter with X specifications, he'd do it? Cool.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

>Light as cuben, strong as ripstop, roomy, bugproof, well ventilated, condensation-free, 30 second setup in the rain. Add a Star-Trek transportation device for a quick trip to Arby's and a weight under 10 oz.

That was SOOOO last year's model…. : )

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

">We have a custom maker on BPL, Tim Marshall.

My momma was right when she told me I'd learn something new every day!"

http://enlightenedequipment.com/

Made me a cuben quilt. Love it! I know he's done MTO tents and 'regular' quilts and bags as well. And you should see the sleeping bags he made for Doug Johnson's tykes! One is expandable to grow with the child!

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

">Light as cuben, strong as ripstop, roomy, bugproof, well ventilated, condensation-free, 30 second setup in the rain. Add a Star-Trek transportation device for a quick trip to Arby's and a weight under 10 oz.

That was SOOOO last year's model…. : )"

That's why I'm selling mine…..

Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."

"Light as cuben, strong as ripstop, roomy, bugproof, well ventilated, condensation-free, 30 second setup in the rain. Add a Star-Trek transportation device for a quick trip to Arby's and a weight under 10 oz"

>Wait a sec …. I think I have one of those in my gear room….

Ya know, Doug, I don't doubt it. I'd pay a week's salary to spend an hour rummaging through your gear room. (You'd have to frisk me on the way out.)

Stargazer

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

What I'd like now, which will probably change a dozen times in the next week, is a cuben MLD DuoMid with sewn in floor and bug netting, with a full mesh door. I do hate those mosquitoes.

Though, I'm very fond of my tarptent DR

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

"What I'd like now, which will probably change a dozen times in the next week, is a cuben MLD DuoMid with sewn in floor and bug netting, with a full mesh door. I do hate those mosquitoes."

Actually, that's available now. You can get a DuoMid in cuben, and an InnerNet, which would be your bug netting with a sewn in floor and full mesh door (since it's a bug net!). You can roll back the DuoMid door and tie it open.

See, dreams do come true!

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

"Ya know, Doug, I don't doubt it. I'd pay a week's salary to spend an hour rummaging through your gear room. (You'd have to frisk me on the way out.)"

Hmmmmm. Forget the week's salary. Let me play with the Schottland for an afternoon and we might have a deal….. ;-)

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

>Actually, that's available now. You can get a DuoMid in cuben, and an InnerNet, which would be your bug netting with a sewn in floor and full mesh door (since it's a bug net!). You can roll back the DuoMid door and tie it open.

Point taken. However, perimeter mesh and a door is lighter than a full-blown bug netting. Though, a full bug netting would make it a double wall shelter…..

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

What do you get when you cross Henry Shires, Ron Moak and Ron Bell ?
    By an amazing coincidence you get Henronron Shimobell , the inventor of Unobtanium, the very best tent fabric. Unfortunately that was purchased by GE and filed away never to be released. ( it was in direct conflict with eVent, stronger, lighter and fully waterproof as well as breathable)
    Franco

Mark McLauchlin
    BPL Member

@markmclauchlin

Locale: Western Australia

Thats great Thomas, very funny

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

I'm guessing a really fine ale worth driving to Nevada City for, but what do I know? :-)

Cheers,

Rick

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Unobtanium….That has a similar molecular structure to Cryptonite, right? I heard the Russians were experimenting with the stuff in the '60's, but priorities were priorities (cold war and such), and it was then sold to GE…..unless my history is off…… Oh, and where's the accent on Shimobell? Is it SHImobell or ShiMObell? I hear conflicting views…..

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

I would really like someone to produce Roger Caffin style tents. A Double Rainbow with Caffin's CF arrow shafts for a pole would be sweet, as would one of his 2 man dual entrance tunnel tents…

Oh, and in this part of the world we pronounce it SHImoBELL and unOBtainiUM.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Has anyone tried replacing the standard pole with CFarrows on the DR? I wonder what the weight difference would be. I've got some, but are 5 hours away at my parent's place up north Wisconsin. I do believe that Henry likes the aluminum poles over carbon fiber because they won't snap. Though, I've shot with some CF arrows, and those things are TOUGH! I actually "robin-hooded" two CF arrows once (shooting one directly into the shaft of another already in the target) and two grown men couldn't pull them apart. The arrow did not shatter, but was definitely cracked halfway down the shaft. It was some doing getting those two arrows apart!

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

I wouldn't touch a bent CF pole on such a long ridgeline as in the DR. I'm pretty sure it would have snapped several times over in our tent. But using the straight arrow shafts like Roger's design should be a lot stronger..not sure how much lighter than AL though.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Generally speaking CF is better at handling vertical pressure than lateral pressure . Roger's tents take advantage of that…
    Franco
    Yes it is SHImoBELL,the winner of the 1997 Noble Prize for his attempt . Not to be confused with the other kind.
    now Lynn you need to strip that can of yours…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools