Topic

home made softshell

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear home made softshell

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Chris Collins

@hobbitling

Anyone ever made a softshell jacket, or pants?

I have a source for the fabric. Shoeller mini-ripstop softshell fabric with a thin fleece backing. I haven't decided whether to buy a pattern or just dissect an old fleece and make a pattern from that. If you have a pattern to reccomend, I'm all ears.

thoughts? suggestions?

mainly I want to know if the seams are going too bulky to be comfortable, or what type of stitch to use. I'm also wondering if seam sealing is worthwhile, given that it's not really "waterproof" in the first place.

Kevin Beeden
    BPL Member

@captain_paranoia

Locale: UK

I'd be tempted to use an edge-locked plain stitch* first (with an overlocking machine, ideally, or edge-locking stitch on a conventional machine), and then sew this down afterwards; then you have three layers of fabric, rather than four with a flat-lock* seam. It's also easier to make.

This construction method is commonly used in commercial softshells.

And no, I see no point trying to seal the seams, or use waterproof zips, when the fabric itself isn't waterproof (manufacturers, please note…)

* must have been away with the fairies last night: I meant plain seam and lap fell seam.

Chris Collins

@hobbitling

I agree. I'll probably just use a coil zipper placed "inside out" to hide the teeth. some companies definitely go a bit too far with the "tech zipper" look and end up with a jacket that looks like a costume from Tron.

for example:

http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorgear/Stoic-Bombshell-Jacket-Mens/SIC0021M.html

http://www.habosarcade.com/images/DoT/Tron-Fighting.gif

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Better off with a pattern. Reason is that dissecting an old bit of clothing leaves you with all the stretched bits, and it is hard to sort them out.

Nah, seam sealing is not worth while, or even suitable, with this sort of fabric. As to what sort of seam – depends on your machine.

Cheers

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools