Topic

MacCat Deluxe w/bivy

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) MacCat Deluxe w/bivy

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Trevor Shrade
    BPL Member

@trevman3205

Locale: Wisconsin

I hear loads of good things from hammock campers about the MacCat tarps made by OES. I was wondering how they would fare if they were taken off the hammock and pitched on the ground with a bivy. has anyone tried this? Or have any opinions?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Should work fine I would think, but you will have a bit less coverage than a 'regular' rectangular tarp, I would think, due to the shape. There are some set up without hammocks in the Field Photo section of Brian's website.

If you decide to go this way, I happen to have a MacCat Deluxe I might be willing to part with since I bought an MLD cuben hex hammock tarp. As seems to be the case with way too much of what I buy, it was only used once and is in great shape.

Doug

Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

Locale: Central Valley

I have had occasion to pitch mine on the ground. You can fit a 5'7" chick on a medium NeoAir and all her gear in one when it's pitched in a flying diamond. I could pitch it off the ground in an A frame and have more room. Have yet to try a wedge, but maybe next trip.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Somewhere on my home computer I have a link to a page where someone demonstrates a number of ways to pitch such a tarp on the ground. Quite illuminating. If I can find it tonight I'll add it to this thread, unless someone else does it first!

Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

If you mean the Blackcat tarp page (DIY MacCat clone) it's over here: http://www.teamgunnparker.com/blackcat_tarp/Black_Cat_Tarp.htm

Anonymous
    Inactive

Interesting… 7 ounces (minus stuff sack) for the micro. He does spinn versions as well.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

"If you mean the Blackcat tarp page (DIY MacCat clone) it's over here:"

That's the one! Thanks Lori!

Andrew King

@drewboy

Locale: Arizona

Hi Douglas. I just recently bought an MLD cuben hammock tarp as well. I'm curious on whether you seam sealed it, and if so, how much weight gain you saw. Also how are the tensioners on the ridgeline tieouts working out for you? I'm thinking that I can get rid of my figure 9's and use them instead. I may try to just use the same toggle that I loop my whoopie sling around (or even add another toggle to the webbing at a different height), and get by with shorter lines too. Good to see another owner out there to compare notes with!

"If you decide to go this way, I happen to have a MacCat Deluxe I might be willing to part with since I bought an MLD cuben hex hammock tarp. As seems to be the case with way too much of what I buy, it was only used once and is in great shape."

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Reading these posts can be dangerous…

I've been looking at the MLD Cuben Hammock tarp but would love an opinion on a thought I've had:

Could that tarp be modified (perhaps with some velcro or snaps to shorten it) to be a poncho as well?

I currently use a SMD Gatewood Cape but am moving off the ground and into the trees. It's been difficult seeing my pack weight go back up because of the change. I really like the idea of my shelter as my raingear and would be willing to add a couple of ounces to the hammock tarp if it meant that I didn't have to carry a pack cover or a rainshell.

I have my first hammock trip November 12-15 along the AT here in PA so this may be a moot point if hammocking doesn't agree with me, but I thought I'd ask. Thanks for any insight either of you (or anyone else) may have.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Hi Andrew,

I did seam seal it. I'm a notoriously poor seam sealer (but getting better each time I attempt it!). I don't really know how much weight I gained as I don't weigh my stuff, but I used less than half the tube — it's only one ridgeline that needs the sealing. So I'd say well less than an ounce.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Hi Kevin,

Anything can be modified ;-)

Shoot an email to Ron at MLD and ask, he'll let you know what it would take and what it would cost.

Personally, I like having a separate rain jacket. If it's raining, I want to set up the tarp first, then the hammock, and still mill about the campsite chatting with my companions, without getting wet.

I hear ya about 'gaining' weight by hammocking. To me, though, it's been very much worth it. I simply sleep significantly better in my hammock, and that's worth a little bit of gain, especially since I've cut out so much other weight from where I started.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Sorry Andrew, didn't answer your second question.

The tensioners are great. It's why I love Ron's gear, the thoughtful touches he adds. With the tensioners it's a set it and forget it pitch, since there's no sag with the cuben.

Trevor Shrade
    BPL Member

@trevman3205

LORI: "You can fit a 5'7" chick on a medium NeoAir and all her gear in one when it's pitched in a flying diamond."

Is yours the Deluxe size? Do you think I could fit a 6'0" dude on a Z-rest under the Deluxe when pitched in the flying diamond?

Andrew King

@drewboy

I also thought it was a great idea to integrate the tarp tensioners right into the grosgrain loops. Although, I suppose that you end up using more line that way since the line has to reach all the way from tarp down to the stake and then all the way back up to the tensioner. Unless I'm missing something here. Am looking forward to taking it out to the field and experimenting around with it. Definitely another piece of quality gear from MLD.

Sorry for the thread hijack. I'll start another thread at some point after I get a chance to play with my tarp more.

Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

"Is yours the Deluxe size? Do you think I could fit a 6'0" dude on a Z-rest under the Deluxe when pitched in the flying diamond?"

Yup, I got the Deluxe to allow some wiggle room with a Warbonnet Blackbird pitched under it. And I do think that you would fit – I tend to pitch higher than is depicted in the Blackcat example pics, to allow a little more airspace above my head, but you could easily spread the tarp out more than I do by pitching lower. I had the NeoAir, a Nimbus Ozone, and random stuff spread out with some inches to spare.

I stake out the foot end and one side, set up the trekking pole, and then the third point to get the most taut pitch possible while still allowing a good amount of space underneath. You can use the D rings for a very tight ground pitch but in a wind the corners pop off Y stakes (I have groundhogs) unless you put a nice big boulder on each point. I got the setup to be very stable in 40+ mph winds by staking the foot end to the ground and into the wind. (This was actually the first time I set up on the ground with this tarp, and it was an interesting task to do by headlamp as the wind stole each corner from me before getting it nailed down!)

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

"I suppose that you end up using more line that way since the line has to reach all the way from tarp down to the stake and then all the way back up to the tensioner."

Not at all, the line only has to go from the tensioner to the stake. I don't use any more line with the tensioner than without.

Trevor Shrade
    BPL Member

@trevman3205

DOUG: "If you decide to go this way, I happen to have a MacCat Deluxe I might be willing to part with"

Is it the SilNylon version? How much coercion($$) would it take to convince you to part with it?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

"Is it the SilNylon version? How much coercion($$) would it take to convince you to part with it?"

Hi Trevor,

It is the (generation 3) silnylon version. I really wasn't thinking about selling it until your post. Not trying to be coy. Let me sleep on it to decide if I really do want to get rid of it. If I did, it wouldn't be that great a deal, to be honest. I haven't had it/used it long enough to discount it too much. Once, one night (I really have to stop that….). $110 including shipping, I think. You'd only be saving about $9 from getting it brand new from Brian (who's great to work with, BTW). Might not be worth it to you.

Trevor Shrade
    BPL Member

@trevman3205

Didn't mean to pressure you into getting rid of a great piece of gear or anything (just got a little excited). Well, your right that doesn't sound like much of a steal. For $9 I would probably just buy from Brian (money goes to a good cause right?). Thanks anyway.

Trevor

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

"Didn't mean to pressure you into getting rid of a great piece of gear or anything (just got a little excited)"

No pressure! Made me think for a bit. That's a good thing ;-)

"(money goes to a good cause right?)"

Yes, it does! I love supporting the cottage industries making great gear. And Brian makes great gear!

Tom Caldwell
    BPL Member

@coldspring

Locale: Ozarks

"I would probably just buy from Brian"

I'm never sure of his status, is he making gear or not? He's really busy with school. How long do you want to wait is the question?

Andrew King

@drewboy

If you can get in touch with Brian, you'll probably have a great transaction. I've been frustrated dealing with him and spent weeks waiting for an email response. He's a nice kid who makes a great product, but is really busy in engineering school. Nothing wrong with that. If you can't get in touch with Brian, Ron Bell at Mountain Laurel Designs also makes a great hammock tarp product and offers great service and knowledge to go along with it. Ron's lead times are much shorter these days (2-3 weeks last month when I ordered my tarp). I'm all in favor of supporting our cottage manufacturers whenever possible.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools