Topic

Going from 15 to 10

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Going from 15 to 10

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Nate Davis
    BPL Member

@knaight

Locale: Western Massachusetts

Ah-ha, I figured out the issue. I have the SD790IS, not the 780. I think the 3 inch screen must be what gives it the extra ounce and it definitely weighs a lot more than the case. However, 0.25 oz is pretty incredible. Might as well try and make a case like that. I probably have everything I need around the house.

That Triumph looks awesome. I think I'm going to start with the DriDucks and see what I think. For the price, I'm not sure I can go wrong. If they do the trick, great. If not, I'll save up for the Triumph or something similar.

Thanks

-Nate

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Yeah a bubble wrap case is easy to make as long as your camera is a nice rectangle shape. Just use the bubble wrap to make sleeve to slide it in. I found the biggest challenge was that I kept making them too tight by wrapping more packing tape around it after I took the camera out. Bubble wrap and packing tape are both virtually weightless. Duct tape is what really adds the weight. Mine weighed about 4g (0.15oz) and then it jumped to about 7-8g when I wrapped a few layers of duct tape on. I intentionally put a bit extra duct tape on so I can peel it off if I need it for trail repairs. If you're concerned about needing more padding, you can use larger bubble wrap and/or use multiple layers of it to create a thicker padding.

DriDucks are a tough one. They are so darn light and cheap that it's hard to buy anything else. The downsides to DriDucks is that they fit terrible (super baggy) but you can't go down a size or the sleeves/legs will be too short. I don't mind the fit of the pants. It's baggy enough that I can put them on without taking my shoes off. The torso of the jacket is absolutlely massive though. I'm 5'11 165lbs and I can wear my 50L Jam pack INSIDE the rain jkt as long as I'm not using the extension collar of the pack. This is kinda cool (you don't need a pack cover) but it also makes for a rediculous fit. The DriDucks are also supposedly poorly made (I've only spent 2 days in mine and they are holding up so far) and the solid colors look pretty ghetto. It's create that they only cost $15, it's just too bad they look like they cost $15 :)

Still, you can't go wrong for the price. I would buy the DriDucks to save weight and then drop the money on a more expensive jkt like the TNF Anorak when you can afford it. For rainy trips, you'll appreciate wearing a nicer jkt. My last trip was forecasted to be solid rain so I brought my 12oz North Face Venture Jkt instead. If there was just going to be a bit of rain then I bring DriDucks.

Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools