Topic

Pack for Heavy loads

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Pack for Heavy loads

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

N/A

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I will 2nd that the Z55 will handle a 40 lb load fine.

The Z55 has been the most comfortable pack that I have carried so far. (I currently use a Jam2).

When I 1st starting going light, I used the Z55 on a planned 7 day trip over 70 miles from Sequoia National Park to Mt. Whitney.

Started the trip with 35-38 lbs and finished the trip in four days….rode like a dream and with a vented back.

Great pack, but the biggest issue that I see for you is if you have the volume to carry everything that you will need for the both of you.

If you are not carrying a bear canister, then you should be fine….with a bear canister, well, things might get a bit tricky.

You might want to see if you can rig it so that you can carry the empty bear canister on top of the pack and store the food inside the main body/chamber in a stuff bag to make better internal use of space.

You should be able to cut the weight of the pack down by losing the pack lid and trimming some of the straps down.

Cutting out the hydration sleeve is not a bad idea, if you are okay with cutting into your pack, as I doubt that you will be using the sleeve given that you will want the space for the gear for the both of you.

Good luck to you and sorry to hear about your wife's condition.

Best wishes to the both of you.

-Tony

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Well I don't know Tim and neither know much about packs, but this I know…
    Tim already has at least 2 "lightweight" packs that he can use after this trip.
    One is a Starlite , a 4200 cu In bag that is not big enough for what he wants.( and to me with about 30lbs in it looks and feels like a sac of potatoes…)
    The other is the GoLite Pinnacle (4500cu) very light for the volume but again not suitable for 40lbs or so.
    From the comment "a two week climbing trip" I deduce that he will be carrying …climbing equipment.
    So the requirement is a pack LARGER than 4200 cu in, does not have to be light for future trips, and would be helpful if it were designed to have bits of metal hanging on the front and side.
    But I could be wrong.
    Franco
    The Z55 BTW is around 3600cu…

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Franco good point on the volume question.
    Tim I'm not sure you really need an expensive pack if you're going to be doing short days. Why not look at a cheaper pack like a Kelty or Jansport. My brother has one (Big Bear) that weighs about 4 pounds and carries weight well.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Heck,

I've got an old Army "mountain" ruck you can borrow if you want. I have no idea what the volume is. It's an external frame pack, made to carry a LOT of weight (ammo is pretty heavy!). And I do mean old, I used it back in the 80s. Pay shipping both ways and you're welcome to use it/abuse it. I haven't used it in years. I 'think' I still have the external frame, but if not you could probably get one cheap from an Army surplus store. Let me know.

Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."

>I've got an old Army "mountain" ruck you can borrow if you want. I have no idea what the volume is. It's an external frame pack, made to carry a LOT of weight (ammo is pretty heavy!). And I do mean old, I used it back in the 80s.

Doug, my friend, you have a LOT of neat stuff. I have one of these, as well, made of leather and weighing in at half a ton or so. I wouldn't part with it for the world. It reminds me of what it was like to carry 65 pounds, complete with leather rucksack (when they were called rucksacks!!) and a two-burner white-gas stove. What were we thinking?

Stargazer

P.S. Such equipment reminds me of my solid advice, despite the opinions to the contary: Get the gol-danged weight down to 35# or less. In the end, you'll enjoy the hike better. It's worth the extra expense to have one of those "peak experiences" instead of thinking about how heavy your pack is as you walk for 10 hours with that "monkey" on your back. A pack designed for 40 pounds still feels better at 35, IMO. But that's just my back, I could be wrong.

P.P.S. to Doug: Got the Gatewood Cape and set it up in the backyard. Geesh, the thing is tiny and hard to get to set up with a taut pitch. (I like the weight, though.) Any suggestions?

Tim Heckel
    Spectator

@thinair

Locale: 6237' - Manitou Springs

Jeez, so many posts I don't know where to begin. Thanks for your thoughts.
    Gatewood cape. I'm still fiddling with mine but that should be another thread.
    Frame pack – no. I have used them for many miles and agree they are great for heavy loads on trails. I should have been clear that I am looking for an internal frame pack.
    I believe a pound does make a difference even when carrying +40# loads.
    I need a high volume lightweight pack for climbing trips, rope, harness, pro. It will not be my only pack.
    The cold cold world packs look good, but I'd like to get under 3# and won't likely consider anything over 3.5#.
    I spent more time on the McHale site. I dunno, will look some more and maybe call him. His packs without the bells and whistles may be the ticket.
    Thanks again for your ideas and discussion.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

For really big heavy loads you can't beat a LuxuryLite frame and hipbelt. I attach a GoLite Gust to the frame, but a lot of folks like the cylinders that come with the pack. It will carry any amount of weight and fits anyone, but it's not ideal if you are doing much off track scrub bashing and boulder hopping unless you can get one with the hipbelt attached securely to the frame.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

From the OP (Tim)
    I should have been clear that I am looking for an internal frame pack
    I need a high volume lightweight pack for climbing trips, rope, harness, pro. It will not be my only pack.

Brian Johnson

@sirclimbsalot

Locale: Midwest

4600 cu in, carries 45 comfortably. I would think 50-55 would be the limit, but I have not carried this much with it before.

Can be stripped down for a summit push to less than 3 lbs. Mine weighs 4lb 1oz. Very comfortable for me….in my youth I use to carry a terraplane with 55-65lbs. This south col is as comfortable as the terraplane with the same weight.

It's my favorite go to climbing pack…claims to be designed by Ed Viesturs….great job by Ed.

And if anyone truly has a pack that I accomplish the same for lighter, I'd love to give it a try. I researched long and hard before I got the South col but that was about 1.5 years ago.

joe w

@sandalot

nm

John G
    BPL Member

@johng10

Locale: Mid-Atlantic via Upstate NY

I use a Lowe Alpine 70+15L for big loads. It seems to work better than all the other internal & external framed packs I tried (including Mountainsmith, Gregory, Dana & Arcextyl). I think it's because the pack bag is relatively tall, narrow & curved so the load stays close to your back. The pack also has very thickly padded shoulder & hip straps (medium density foam), but they are only a little more padded than most of the others, so I think the significantly better comfort is due to the better balance related to the load's shape. The internal frame is also rigid, but doesn't interfere with my arm swings when walking, or dig into the outer/top edges of my shoulder blades like the 3.5 pound Kelty pack I used to use for heavy loads. I also feel a lot less tired at the end of the day with the internal frame pack than the Kelty. The better balance is very noticeable.

The Lowe Alpine weighs 6.75 pounds empty, so I'd look for something with a similar shape. The Apine's 1000 denier pack bag, 6-8 layers of 400 denier cloth on the back (for length adjustment) and 3/16 thick (almost unbendable) stays are definitely overkill.

ps: I tried the pack without stays (there is no frame sheet), and it was "almost" as comfortable (80-90% ?) with big loads. Of course, with big loads, it was stuffed so tightly that it would barely bend when I leaned it against a chair and pushed down on the unsupported middle section.

Steve Thompson
    BPL Member

@stevet

Locale: Southwest

McHale +1

Definitely give him a call. I have two McHale packs, an expedition size Inex and a smaller Sarc-Chasm. In roll top mode (no top pocket, no bayonet extensions) and with hipbelt pockets it weighs 3lbs 12oz. The Sarc series can comfortably carry well in excess of 40lbs.

Dan has lots of experience backpacking and climbing. After answering a few questions he'll be able to zero in on a suitable model. Just don't choke when he gives you a price; these are outstanding custom built packs.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

GoLite Odyssey, 5500 cu. in, 3.5 lbs

$140.00 at Sierra Trading Post

Better hurry. Their inventory status says "almost gone."

Ben Smith
    BPL Member

@goosefeet

Locale: Georgia

And remember, I've got one of these, used on two trips for $100…

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I've owned my Dana Terraplane for 12 years, meaning it was actually MADE when Dana owned the company.

In my earlier (less enlightened) days I've carried over 50 lbs. on the AT with a week's supply of food and 2 liters of water. The pack carried just fine but the next year I got that load down to 40 lbs. – a big drop in those "heavier" days.

So, yes, my 7,000 cu. in. Terraplane is now my winter pack for bulky loads, and never again to be used in summer.

Dewey Riesterer

@kutenay

I would also suggest the Mystery Ranch Big Sky for your needs and the Wildthings Andinista as well.

I have owned/used a LOT of packs, carried mega loads as a part of my employment in BC mountains and prefer Dana Design-Bozeman and Mystery Ranch packs, of which I have seven and had two others, to anything else.

Call Mystery Ranch and talk with the guys, who all climb and can give sound advice. I also agree with Charlie Jennings on Dan McHale's packs and even with 11 packs on hand, I might buy one made to my exact specs.

Nat Lim

@lithiummetalman

Locale: Cesspool Central!

Guys complaining about carrying 40lbs…grumble gumble…try aid climbing…:-P

If on a budget (If not, McHale seems like a good route to go!)

Cold Cold World Packs are great as mentioned earlier on, I own a modified one for my cragging and long day trips (Ozone)and has been phenomenal!

Just to note almost all the Cold Cold World packs (from what I recall) do not have a full frame (metal rod) and relies on a triple folded pad to give the pack it's rigidity.

But with 40lbs and larger loads, Cold Cold World's Chernobyl 3000ci(I've borrowed this before and it is comfy for a frameless pack!!!) or Chaos 4000ci

Randy is awesome, especially with customizations.

Chaos

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Cilogear

Cilo gear 60L

http://www.cilogear.com/60lws.html

Cilo 60

Haven't tried Graham's packs but he is also really cool guy too! the pack does have frame unlike the Chaos, someone with more experience with Cilogear might chime in.

Other might ding me here, I personally use:

Arc-teryx Bora 50 (and my buddy uses the 90…monster)

for multi-day trad trips (not alpine usage I use the Ozone for that!) It's not the lightest thing in the world (4.8lbs) but it's tough tough tough, and can definitely carry a load with ease! I've been told the Kashmin is even better for climbing!

Couldn't imagine using an external for climbing purposes, you guys are hardcore!

Best of luck in your hunt!

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

I still have my first internal frame, a Gregory Shasta from about 1995 or maybe earlier. It can easily handle 65+ pounds — ask me how I know this . Haven't used it in a while, but it's the first pack I would grab when faced with having to carry 45 pounds. Yes, it's 6 pounds empty, but it carried a heavy load very well.

My current pack is a Starlite, and I agree that it won't carry the load. Mine (with the optional stays) is comfortable to about 35 pounds, but much better at 30 or below.

Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools