Topic

Anyone backpacked in Rocky Mtn NP in late December/early January?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Anyone backpacked in Rocky Mtn NP in late December/early January?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Zack Karas
    BPL Member

@iwillchopyouhotmail-com

Locale: Lake Tahoe

More specifically, where did you go and what was the route? How did it go?

I'm planning on 1 or 2 nights, either basecamping and bagging peaks or doing some sort of loop. Any related info appreciated–especially day/night temps, snow depth, easy or hard access from TH, etc. I know that conditions vary greatly, but hearing about others' past experiences always helps.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

My brother and I went up in January and did a day hike, I believe it was Battle Mountain (below Long's Peak).
    Snow
    There was maybe 2 feet of snow but the trail up to timberline was beat down enough we didn't need snowshoes. Above timberline it was pretty windswept but you couldn't find the trail. I know that year some parts of Colorado got less snow than the normal so check.
    Temperatures
    I don't remember the tempuratures. I would guess lower teens plus wind chill.
    Trails
    Above timberline we went cross country because the trail was hard to find. You'll want a map and compass. Our trail was beat down but side trails had dissappeared. The hike we did was good for us because it was fairly safe from avalanches. As I recall it was a long day so this might be a good one nighter.
    Have fun.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools