Topic

tyvek ground sheet

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear tyvek ground sheet

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Justin Chaussee

@judach

Locale: Earth

So I finished my tarptent for 2 and was going to make a nice tyvek ground sheet for it. Went to the hardware store and found out tyvek only comes by the roll and is about 80-120 bucks per roll for a few hundred yards of it. How do others get their tyvek for their MYOG projects? Do you just invest 100 bucks in a whole roll? Or is there a super cool website where you can order custom lengths of tyvek? Help!

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

Do you have a Contractor buddy, or friend-of-a friend, etc?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

You could just order a Tyvek ground sheet from Henry Shires for $12 plus shipping. Not as cheap as making your own, I guess, but cheaper than buying a whole roll! Just order one bigger than you need and cut it down. FWIW.

Justin Chaussee

@judach

I wish I had a contractor buddy… Maybe I can find a new construction site and beg for tyvek! "Will work for Tyvek"

Justin Chaussee

@judach

No one on this site would happen to be a contractor with some spare tyvek laying around, would they??? ;-) I will pay!

Brian Markey
    BPL Member

@bmlaw

Locale: Northeast

Anti Gravity Gear sells it by the foot. See: http://antigravitygear.com/proddetail.php?prod=TYVEK

M G
    BPL Member

@drown

Locale: Shenandoah

Got mine from AGG.

m

Justin Chaussee

@judach

That's perfect. Thanks!!!!

Brian Turner

@phreak

I always have Tyvek laying around from my construction/remodeling business. Let me know what size you need.

Paul Gibson

@pgibson

Locale: SW Idaho

We carrie it by the foot at Arrowhead Equipment. ships same day by priority mail.

arrowheadequipment.webs.com

Cheers :)

Paul

Amy Reid
    BPL Member

@marmot8

Locale: central Sierra

I've ordered it online somewhere before but don't remember where. . . I just found it on Quest Outfitters though:

http://questoutfitters.com/uncoated_fabrics.htm#TYVEK

You could check the wiki fabric sources:
    http://wiki.backpackinglight.com/MYOG_fabrics_sources

I've folded the corners over on my tyvek groundcloth and sewn small grosgrain loops so that I could stake it down without a shelter — works great.

Jang-Tian Shieh(Syoten)
    BPL Member

@syoten

Locale: Taiwan

I think some people are selling it on ebay.
    But I only found homewrap type tyvek but not soft structure Tyvek.

I just got 30 feet of 10 feet wide homewrap tyvek from ebay with $1.85*30 plus $5.75 shipping. 9 feet wide one is $1.58 per linear foot.

Nick Truax
    BPL Member

@nicktruax

Locale: SW Montana

I purchased the 1443R type tyvek/40g per sq meter(softer and lighter than construction grade) at a kite website –

http://www.intothewind.com/shop/Repair_and_Kitemaking/Fabric/Tyvek

It comes 60" wide and is sold by the yard with a min of 1 yard and max of 20 yards @ $3.50 a yard.

I've made stuffsacks as well as a ground sheet and they have worked great!

Hope this helps.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools