Topic

New Zealand — Harvesting dinner from the beach?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition New Zealand — Harvesting dinner from the beach?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    John Beisner
    Spectator

@trtlrock

Locale: Blue Ridge

So, I've read that, on any given beach tramp in NZ, one can dig down into the sand & somehow harvest dinner…

What am I looking or feeling for? Any particular time of day, year, or tide-time that would enhance success? How would I cook/prepare whatever it is I'm finding?

Thanks for any tips.

Julian Watson

@juleswatson

Pippies and cockles are two types of shellfish you might find.

If you're going to eat pippies, which are a sand-filter feeder, leave em in the bottom of a bucket of water for an hour or two before cooking, so they purge the sand inside. Reduces grit flavour.

http://seafoodindustry.co.nz/Default.aspx?id=1238&area=243

http://www.teara.govt.nz/en/mataitai-shellfish-gathering/4

Pippies are searched for by standing in the edge of the surf zone, doing 'the twist' and finding them with your barefeet.

They make excellent bait as well.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

Add some of that bright green sea-lettuce for a balanced and colourful meal ;)

Adrian Smith
    Spectator

@zajsmith

Locale: Wellington, New Zealand

sounds like a good crash diet plan :>

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

For a more balanced diet make sure you bring along the book "A Field Guide to the Native Edible Plants of New Zealand" by Andrew Crowe, otherwise you probably WILL starve!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools