Topic

Patagonia Merino 60% off. Can someone buy me some and send it to Australia?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Patagonia Merino 60% off. Can someone buy me some and send it to Australia?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

Locale: Australia

Patagonia has selected Merino at 60% off, in lots of sizes. Also some limited Capilene.

http://www.patagonia.com/web/us/shop/baselayer-sale-web-specials?sssdmh=dm23.116701&k=5F-ga&src=102909m_sale

They will no longer ship to Australia, as there is now one Patagonia store in the country. If anyone is buying, are they able to buy me a couple of pieces and ship to Australia. I can Paypal to cover it.

PM, or post here I guess.

Thanks, Rod

Richard D.
    BPL Member

@legkohod

Locale: Eastern Europe / Caucasus

Don't know if I'll be buying any personally, but I'd be happy to mail it to you. I routinely do this for friends in Russia and Ukraine.

Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

Unfortunately Patagonia won't let me order on my card and ship to you, as it's an international card. They had no problem when I was shipping to myself in Australia, but require an international credit card to ship to the billing address. It's a fair call from their end, but doesn't help me out at all/

Hence my desire to piggyback on someone's order. Thanks for the offer though.

Regards, Rod

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Hey Rod,

Sucks I didn't see this earlier, my wife ordered a couple things for herself. I'll still do it but you'll be out the double shipping to me still. I think you have my email already if you want to do this.

Chris

Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

I also had a PM from another friend Jonathon, and I have organised an order with him.

Thanks very much for your kind offers.

Regards, Rod

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> require an international credit card to ship to the billing address.
    WEIRD! (Or abysmally ignorant.)

Because as far as I know, the Visacards and Mastercards issued in Australia are acceptable internationally. We don't differentiate. Certainly, mine have been accepted in America and Europe without question.

I suspect this concept is a peculiarly American one, as I have heard before of Americans finding they can only use their cards inside the USA.

Cheers

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

Weird is right! There's no such thing as an "international credit card". Where in the world would you get such a card? All Visa, Mastercard, and American Express are international regardless of where you got them. They're all on the same international network.

I've used my Amex and Mastercard all over the world. The only problem I've had is when stores in the country I am in don't accept my Amex. Other than that, no problems at all, including ordering internationally.

Patagonia has localizations with their merchandise, though. Living in Japan I can't order from Patagonia in the States. I can only order from Patagonia, Japan. Really sucks.

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

Bah. Went to buy some; wool 2 zip t was $32, great deal, but then shipping and handling was $8.50, + tax, added $11 to the cost. Still essentially half off, but geez, add 35% to the cost?

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

And they tax the shipping

Michael Theiler

@michaelst

Locale: Annandale

I probably should have created a new thread, but it seemed pertinent to this thread. I noticed a store on Kent St Sydney, Australia had a sale on merino products – 50% off.

I went and had a look. The shop was badly organised, but I'm sure if you got some assistance you could find what you want. It was near the catholic school, in between Bathurst St and Cross City Tunnel I think. You will see the sign in their window.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"I suspect this concept is a peculiarly American one, as I have heard before of Americans finding they can only use their cards inside the USA."

That's interesting. I've used my American-issued cards all over the world, both credit and debit. Used them while living in Germany from '89-'93. In fact, when I bicycled New Zealand back in '94, I remember using my debit card to withdraw money from some NZ bank. Worked like a charm.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Two different points are discussed here.
    One is that some cards are only local therefore cannot be used outside the country. For example here we used to have " Bankcard" .
    The other is that your card number identifies the country of issue , therefore an Australian CR card may be blocked if trying to buy goods not allowed to be exported to Australia.
    The first number on you CR card (MII) identifies the issuer category. So for example 1 is an airline , 4 is a financial institution (Visa) the same for 5 (Mastercard) . Diners and Amexo are 3 (travel and entertainment) The first 6 digits ( including the above…) identify the exact issuer , so if you knew my MC number you could find out what Bank ( and in which country) issued that card.

Now you may not like the idea of brands protecting their own agents, but think of it as you would of a franchise. If you spent megadollars buying a franchise and (say a McDonald "restaurant") and then you get up one morning and find another McDonald next to yours, would you be happy ?
    Franco

Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

As the OP, I should jump back in here.

The problem is/was not that Patagonia wouldn't take my card. I've used it often to buy direct from them before by phoning them. Trying to buy online though, there's no option to enter a non-US address as the billing address. If you try, it attempts to auto-correct and then rejects it.

I overcame this by entering my Australian address in the AE field, which doesn't autocorrect. They then e-mailed me the next day to confirm/correct the address. I replied to confirm that my address was in Australia and it shipped the next day to a US address.

It still won't ship to Australia, but I have a mate in the US who'll help me out on this one.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools