Topic

MLD TrailStar thread.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) MLD TrailStar thread.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Richard D.
    BPL Member

@legkohod

Locale: Eastern Europe / Caucasus

I've spent a lot of time thinking about this shelter and would like to consolidate some observations and get some feedback from people who have used it in the wild:

The MLD Trailstar:

This is a very interesting shelter, potentially combining the advantages of both a tent and a tarp in a single shelter. It can be pitched with 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 edges flush or nearly flush to the ground depending on the conditions. That's a great deal of versatility.

I have a bunch of random questions about the Trailstar for those who've used it.

1) If you take any two contiguous corners and connect them, then you have a 4-sided pyramid with 7' sides and 49 sq. feet of floor space versus 8.75' x 5' or 44 sq. feet for the MLD duomid. Has anyone tried this? What's the corresponding center pole height for such a configuration when pitched flush to the ground?

(this might be a good pitch for shedding nighttime snow for 1 person sleeping diagonally or 2 small people… plus, you can slip in and out through the slit formed by the gathered side)

2) Would there be any difficulties sticking two trekking poles in the top to allow a couple to sleep directly in the center of the Trailstar? i.e. the poles would look like a " / " Would you have to tie your poles together first to be able to pitch it like this?

3) Could anyone comment on using the Trailstar in winter conditions? How did you pitch it and how well did it function?

4) One potential downfall of the Trailstar is condensation on the fabric getting you all wet when you've got all sides pitched to the ground and stick your hand out to loosen the external linelock in order to get out. Has anyone had any issues with this?

5) Could the Trailstar be suspended from a branch? Does it have anything on top allowing it to be hung?

Finally, I am interested in learning about any particular issues or advantages of the Trailstar.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools