Topic

Caffin/Canister Stove

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Caffin/Canister Stove

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    John Coyle

@bigsac

Locale: NorCal

Just finished reading Roger’s canister stove article part II. Excellent job Roger. I have always liked the idea of remote canister stoves such as the MSR WindPro, but found them to be a little too heavy for me. Would it be feasible for one of the major players such as MSR, SnowPeak or Coleman to make a remote canister stove with a smaller burner head similar to that in the Coleman Ultralight or Gigapower? It seems to me this would lighten things up a bit.

Anonymous

Markill makes a “base” for “on-tank” canister stoves, thus allowing you to use them with a remote resevoir. The only problem is that the thing weighs 6 oz! (And I can’t find a Markill dealer in Canada…)

It seems to me that no manufacturer is willing step up to the plate and make a sub-6-oz remote canister stove because of stability (=liability) issues. After all, anything that’s belching 10 000 BTUs needs to hold still and not accidentally flip on its’ side or flip right over if you re-position the canister while the stove is running w/o pot.

My dream stove would be a pot with its’ own small legs and an attachable burner. Light, super-stable, and integrated. Plus then the pot would keep itself off the ground/your tent floor too. It would only need maybe 3″ legs and it could use a sub-3-oz burner, plus hose.

I even imagined making my own: I was going to tack welding rod to the side of a pot or mug and then build a stove carrier that slid up the rod. Not the most compact solution but most definitely the lightest for that level of ruggedness. It would be soooo much cooler though if the pot legs were foldable and cast/formed with the pot; i.e. a commercial solution.

The only part I’m not capable of is making a preheat tube for a Crux or similar. Anyone?

Brian

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools