Topic

Pins and needles in my back??

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Pins and needles in my back??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Andy Waters

@dirtyhiker

Locale: NC mountains

Hello all? Anybody have any idea what could be causing this "pins and needles" sensation? Usually towards the end of a high exertion day, rarely in the morning.. First i thought heavy pack, now i'm down to like 8 or so base.. Next I thought it could be the synthetic top I was wearing so I switched to merino wool, still getting it if not worsening?

Any Ideas???

Thanks
    Deadbear

Mark McLauchlin
    BPL Member

@markmclauchlin

Locale: Western Australia

I get it, mine is due to a prolapse disk in c4-c5. Early next month I am due in Hospital for a steriod injection or four which will attempt to correct it.

I would suggest you get yourself to your GP and see what they have to say. It was a CT scan that discovered the damage to my neck.

Cheers and all the best.

Mark

Andy Waters

@dirtyhiker

Now i'm scared….. Doctors don't like broke hikers… Think yoga and stretching will help?? thanks so much for the insight though..

Zack Karas
    BPL Member

@iwillchopyouhotmail-com

Locale: Lake Tahoe

Do you only get it when it is hot out? I get a sort of tingling sensation at times but I think that is just prickly heat.

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Hi Andy,

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Have you tried a long walk without a back pack? I'm guessing you use a rucksack that places most or all the weight on your shoulders. It might be useful to determine whether the problem is related to the pack itself (perhaps take a long day hike using a fanny pack). Should the problem not occur, you could have a poor-fitting pack or it may be that any pack is aggravating an existing condition. At the very least it could provide a doctor with some valuable clues.

I once had something similar, but affecting one leg. It proved to be a bruised nerve that was probably originally caused by kayaking but was aggravated thereafter by wearing a backpack with a hipbelt. It went away with time and rest.

Good luck!

Rick

Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."

>mine is due to a prolapse disk in c4-c5

Andy, this might be nothing, but as a sufferer of a similar condition to Mark's, I offer the following advise:

Get to a physician and make sure that you don't have a compressed disc. The tingling sensation may be caused by a a nerve compressed by the vertebrae surrounding the disc in question.

It turned out that I have degenerative disc disease, but I wouldn't have known that if I hadn't paid attention to the warning signs.

Cordially,

Stargazer

Andy Waters

@dirtyhiker

Alright… so….. Spinal cord huh??? wow, i was totally hoping it was something a great massage could fix…. guess i'm going to the doctor in the near future… Thanx u guyz..

Andy Waters

@dirtyhiker

After carrying 80 pounds or so for 2000 miles and then 60 for another 1000 or so give or take i guess i deserve it… let this be a lesson for everybody else out there.. Light is happiness… walk on…….

Kimberly Wersal
    BPL Member

@kwersal

Locale: Western Colorado

Yeah–don't ignore it. I had a numb/tingling/electrical current kind of feeling down my right arm; it didn't exactly hurt, so I let it go– then woke up one morning in AGONY. I was literally bedridden for a week, and in pretty rough shape for another couple of weeks. I had lifted some very heavy weigh with my right arm and it had pulled my spine out of the midline. I went to a neurologist– he let my chiropractor deal with it, which he did, but it was rough for a while.

Mark McLauchlin
    BPL Member

@markmclauchlin

Locale: Western Australia

What Thomas said…we seem to have the same issue.

As for stretching, well I find that works very well, I stretch three times per-day, first in the morning when I wake, then 10:30am and 3:00pm. I really feel it when I miss a session.

For me it's as simple as doing some basic neck moves, right, left, up, down, etc, nothing too hard at all.

I would just make the trip to the GP,

Cheers
    Mark

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools