Topic

ClearViewer Viewfinder/LCDViewer

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography ClearViewer Viewfinder/LCDViewer

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Responding to a camera search thread, Rick Dreher mentioned the ClearViewer as a possible solution to my desire for an optical viewfinder, which is becoming an endangered feature in the compact camera world.

So I ordered one that mounts to the tripod socket for my Sony W170, and it has potential. It places a 3 diopter lens about 1.5 inches (4 cm) from the LCD screen and allows you to view the screen in good detail. There is significant 'pincushion' on all four sides, but for this application that does not matter. I can see all four corners easily, plus any shooting information I display on the screen. I'm nearsighted, so don't need to wear my glasses to do this.

More significantly, with my head this close to the camera, the LCD screen is Very readable, even with the sun directly behind me. In the worst case scenario, with the sun to my left glare can sneak in from the side, but it is easy to block by bringing my left hand up to shadow the screen as the space between my face and the camera is less than 2 inches (5 cm).

ClearViewer

By flipping the lens over the viewer folds to the LCD screen for stowage, adding less than 0.5 inches (1 cm) to the depth of the camera.

If this elegant kludge works well enough, it opens the door to many compacts (e.g. Canon S90) that lack an optical viewfinder.

Additional details can be found at ClearViewer. Gary Robertshaw at Clearviewer had not made one of these for my camera but was ready and willing to do so. It took 10 days from payment to delivery. He was a pleasure to work with.

I'll post again after a bit of time in the field.

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Hi Greg,

Thanks for posting this followup with your experience. This simple gadget looks very promising! Now that screen resolutions are creeping upward it's becoming easier to check focus accuracy, and a magnifier/shade such as this makes a lot of sense.

How well do the ClearView and camera travel together in a case? (Are they easy to stow and remove? Any potential for scratching the magnifer or LCD?)

Thanks again for posting,

Rick

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Here are interesting mods to the Clearviewer.

Comments on the first page of the above thread cover use and impressions.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

The Viewer shown above, for a Sony Cybershot W170, needs a home.

The tripod socket is ~ 0.25" to the left of center of the LCD screen, and 0.625" in from the back of the screen. Even if your camera is a little different, it will work pretty well.

If this is of interest to you, PM me and I'll send it along. Or go direct to greg at smgm dot org. Please be sure to include your address.

Michael Neal

@michaeltn2

Locale: Northern Virginia

http://jag35.com/new/products/lcdvf/

This will work much better as it blocks light. It also works to stabilize your shot when you press your eye against it.

lcdf viewfinder

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

And another 'loupe' solution

ebay item 380179855882

Has diopter adjustment too!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools