Topic

What kind of trail runners or insert are best for a very high foot arch ??

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) What kind of trail runners or insert are best for a very high foot arch ??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

What kind of trail runners or inserts are best for a very high foot arch ??

Keith Selbo
    Spectator

@herman666

Locale: Northern Virginia

I've pretty much concluded that everyone's foot pain is different no matter how similar it sounds. I've read numerous journals from thru-hikers who've said their foot pain went away by using one shoe/insert or another, but I'd usually find in reading other reading other journals or from my personal experience that what helped them, did nothing for me. I finally consulted a podiatrist. He made some recommendations which I hope to test. My pain doesn't usually begin until the second or third day, and I haven't been on a long hike since I talked to the doc. I'll post when I have some experience.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

If you've not looked at Superfeet yet, do so. The green or red insoles. If that doesn't cut it, you'll likely need to look into custom jobs.

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

Getting ready for a section hike I can tell now that I am older I have more high arch issues. Did not really bother me when I was young.

In my excercise walks lately, I have noticed slight arch discomfort with my New balance running shoes so I know I need something.

A couple of years ago I was moving some very heavy equipment, and my shoes did not have enough arch support, and I had a nagging problem for quite a while.

Someone recommended a carbon fiber inserts that they sell at the sports authority and wearing those for a month or so fixed the problem that time.

I just dont want to get on the trail and end up with a foot problem where I cant walk out.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

"In my excercise walks lately, I have noticed slight arch discomfort with my New balance running shoes so I know I need something."

If the shoes are new to you, it is not surprising that something feels different. Your foot may just need to adjust to the new arch/last/insole/effort.

On the other hand, IF you need additional support, you need a pro to help guide you through that process. A podiatrist will want to do a cast ($300+) followed by custom footbeds(+$$).

If you can find an experienced outdoors shoe person, knowledgeable about SuperFeet, you can get a 'Custom Molded' footbed for under a $100. A 'Grey Custom' is very low volume and will fit in most shoes. It is heated and vacuum-bagged to your unweighted foot, and addresses about 95% of all the issues out there. But only if this person is doing 5 or more a week. It is a skill thing that a noob just doesn't posses.

Superfeet Custom footbeds address the issue of having arches that are forward or back of a 'typical' foot, and for arches that are at different locations foot-to-foot. (I have a size 9.5 arch location in a size 10.5 foot, and slightly different between my feet.)

[There is another product that has you stand (weighted) during the molding process. I have No faith in that system.]

And, again, pay attention to the IF noted above.

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

Just need better arch support in general.

Thanks for the advise, I will look into some customs.

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

I disagree that you need to look in to customs. I think that only a small percentage of people NEED custom footbeds and that a much larger percentage would be well taken care of by an off the shelf footbed.

Here's a pro skier who agrees with me:
    http://straightchuter.com/2009/10/insoles/

I have high arches and I use orange or green superfeet.

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

Okay superfeet first and if that doen not work, customs.

David Neumann
    BPL Member

@idahomtman

Locale: Southern Oregon Coast

I never had issues with my feet until a few years ago when I developed Plantar Fasciitis in my left foot. I began using Superfeet green insoles in my Montrail trail runners and that took care of the problem for a while.

Eventually I got PF again and went to a podiatrist who not only recommended custom orthotics, he also said I should stop running and gave me stretching exercises. I did stop running and I got the custom orthotics but I didn't stop hiking (I condition by walking and bike riding).

This summer I hiked the Wonderland Trail at Mt. Rainier NP in six days. I was concerned about my feet so I took the extra precaution of taping my left foot. The combination of the taping and the orthotic eliminated any problem and I was quite comfortable the entire trip.

Since everyone is different, I would recommend trying the green Superfeet, stretching and possibly taping to see if that takes care of it before spending the $350 for orthotics plus the podiatrists fee. I have younger friends who have successfully treated this issue with Superfeet. BTW, I use the Superfeet in my bike shoes and the orthotics in all my other footwear.

Getting old is a pain… literally, but carrying a light load and getting good support on the feet can make a huge difference. Good luck.

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

I need to lose about 20# too.

John Brochu

@johnnybgood4

Locale: New Hampshire

I have high arches and have had foot problems off and on over the years. Spring of 08 I switched to Innov8 roclite 295's and custom superfeet and put a lot of miles on them in 08 and a few in 09 without any issues so far.

terry a thompson
    BPL Member

@terry588

Locale: West

Dave,
    Can you tell me where you learned how to tape your heel? I have been plagued with PF for a year. I got custom orthotics and that seemed to help but it keeps coming back. I have even changed hiking shoes to a pair with more lateral stability, and stiffer foot bed.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Step #1: check the width of your feet. Then ONLY buy shoes that are wide enough. (Breaking this rule is responsible for most foot problems.)

Step #2: Only buy shoes with a flat inner sole; do NOT buy anything with an arch support. Pressure on the underside of your foot will cause damage to the tendons there when you walk. (Consult any State-level athletics coach with experience in foot problems.)

Step #3: improve fitness and lose weight – walking is good for this.

But what about the high arch? Just be grateful for it, that's all.

Cheers

Charles Grier
    BPL Member

@rincon

Locale: Desert Southwest

Here is a site that shows the way to tape for plantar fasciitis. I use this and find that it helps a lot.

http://heelspurs.com/tape.html

terry a thompson
    BPL Member

@terry588

Locale: West

thanks Charles, I will check it out!

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Lots of research out there says that all the various supports and high tech stuff actually makes it worse. You're supposed to be barefoot. I try to use completely flat inserts and let my arch do its job. The shoe itself already has a bump where my arch is. That ought to be enough.

Big, wide shoes several sizes larger than my feet so that all they are is a portable surface to protect my feet from rocks and thorns. That's what works for me.

Charles Grier
    BPL Member

@rincon

Locale: Desert Southwest

"You're supposed to be barefoot."

That is probably true. But, people who have lived with the benefits of civilization for all of their lives may need some assistance.

I grew up in southern California and went barefoot, mostly, except at school, until I was 12. Then, probably because of social expectations, I started wearing shoes; been wearing them ever since.

I suspect that my feet have adapted quite a bit to shoes over the years. And, I have no interest in going barefoot on the trails.

Furthermore, now that I am in my 70's I plan to use every bit of technology and assistance I can to keep going. If that means arch supports, orthotics, taping or whatever, so be it.

Back in the days when everyone went barefoot, the human lifespan was probably about 35-40 years. Feet evolved to meet that demand. For those of us who are now nearly twice that age, a certain amount of age-related deterioration is to be expected. I have to contend with osteoarthritis in one foot and the after-effects of broken bones in the other foot. I choose my footwear and accessories to deal with these limitations.

So, while in theory, going barefoot may be more natural and better, in practice, it isn't quite that simple.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools