Topic

Golite Footwear

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Golite Footwear

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Ben Smith
    BPL Member

@goosefeet

Locale: Georgia

Does anyone use these? I am looking for a fastpacking / trail-runner for 3+ season use, and am considering these…

Golite Footwear

Jeff Patrick
    BPL Member

@callmeammo

your link doesn't go to an actual product, just the homepage of the website.

it looks like its a whole new line of shoes so you might not have good results. I believe timberland makes them now.

Golites older shoes are on sale closeout at a lot of places. I have the storm dragons and I've heard good things about the sun dragons. I think they wear a little fast but they are a good deal on sale.

Logan K
    BPL Member

@logan

Locale: Florida

If anyone is looking for some size 7/8 Sun Dragons or Storm Dragons, I have a pair of each (without the insoles) which are in nearly new condition (too narrow for my flippers). The price is very negotiable. PM me.

To keep this thread out of the "gear swap" category, I found these shoes great on everything but wet rock where they were horrifyingly slippery.

Steven Inge

@tnis0612

Ben,

I have a pair of the Golite Sundragons from the older line but havent tried anything from the newer line.

Unless you have a wide foot I would recommend Inov-8's. There are a lot of people on this forum that swear by them. I would go out on a limb and say that they will most likely be the most highly recommended brand of shoe on this forum.

Some favorite styles are the Roclite 315 305 and 295, the Flyroc 310 and the Terroc's (cant remember the number). I wear a EE width in most shoes so the inov8's were tough for me. I went up a full size in the Roclite 295 (I feel they are one of the widest) and they fit well…but not perfect. A lot of people with normal width feet go up a half size and brag about their perfect fit :)

FYI, runningwarehouse.com has some trail running shoes (including inov-8's) and you can buy them with free shipping and free return shipping, just don't wear them outside. I tried on about 6 pairs before I found the ones for me. I had no problems returning the 5 pairs that didnt fit and getting a speedy refund.

Ben Smith
    BPL Member

@goosefeet

I wear size 13 D most of the time, but sometimes have to go to a EE or even a 4E, depending on the shoe. I have never owned any Inov-8's but have a pair of 13 D Golite Trail Fly's and they fit pretty good… but possibly looking at getting one of Golite's mid-height shoes (Pro Lite or Sky Lite).

Richard Rini
    BPL Member

@rarini

Locale: Southeast

Here is my take. I bought the Storm Dragons for a hiking trip this September in the Absorka mountain range. They were (notice the past tense) the most comfortable trail shoes I have ever worn BUT they absolutely did not last what so ever. I wore them straight out of the box with no break in period and they were super comfortable. No hot spots, blisters just pure comfort and great traction.

However, after 20 miles of hiking; which included some very rugged off trail scrambles they are now showing some definite signs of wear to the point of failure. The actual foot bed is cracked on both shoes and the lugs are showing visible signs of wear. I had to retire them before I completed my trip and ended up using my Montrail Hardrock’s for the rest of my trip in Banff.

It's too bad because I love these shoes. They are going back to Backcountry.com.

The link you included in your post is nothing like the shoes I have and I suspect their design and material change is related to the poor durability of their previous product line.

If it’s the old line of shoes you are looking for beware!

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

Made of used toilet tissue.
    Comfortable as house shoes and just as durable.

I've had 2 pairs. Neither lasted longer than 70 miles on the AT.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

I'm using my second pair of Sun Dragon 2s. The first pair made it a couple hundred AT miles in the SE but as soon as I did some of the AT in New Hampshire I destroyed them. Can't comment on the new line though.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Timberland gave up on their GoLite shoes, and sold the rights to the shoe designer, who started a new company to build and market them. My son had a pair of Sun Dragons, and wore thru both layers of sole in the spike thingys on the first day he wore them. It was a 9 mile round trip up Guadelupe Peak in GMNP. Not too impressive. I've got a pair that have been OK for a couple of hundred miles, and are super comfortable. I got them on closeout at 6pm.com for $19 though, so I don't care if they wear out. Got another pair in the garage.

Chris Morgan
    BPL Member

@chrismorgan

Locale: Southern Oregon

My sun dragon's 2 after the JMT (and about another 200 mi) this year:

If you buy a pair on sale, bring dental floss or thread, and a needle – and duct tape.

The large lugs also seem to kick up more dust than usual. Note the dirty shins.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

I'm going to have to put my input here as well, I've owned 3 pairs of Golite shoes (last season): Sundragons, Storm, and Spike Trails, needless to say, all have been 'retired'. Golite's outsole design might have looked good on paper for much of their line of shoes, but on/off the trail they really didn't perform well in the long run for me. The super thick outsole and oversized lugs provide little to no trail feel and the mesh composite uppers on nearly every model I had were trashed pretty quickly. I haven't heard much about their newest line of shoes ('09-'10) but what pictures I have seen sure do mimic that deceiving quality the old line had on me. I personally like minimalist footwear (New Balance MT100), no heel rise and simplicity of design, Golite shoes are quite the opposite and dare I say it, gimmicky. Many have had success with the shoes, I'll pass and say, don't bother. Look at Montrail, Vasque, New Balance, those are 3 shoemakers who are putting out lightweight trail running, mountain, trail shoes that are better in design and durability.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Chris,

Dang that's a sweet Montbell U.L. Down Inner parka you have. I wish they still made them in that gold/bronze color.

Chris Morgan
    BPL Member

@chrismorgan

Locale: Southern Oregon

It's actually the green one, still around I think.

Mark Jones
    BPL Member

@hibisk55

Locale: The Back of Beyond

I loved the Golite shoes. I went through 2 pair of Trail Fly. I liked the roomy toe box and the lugged soles. They were very comfortable out of the box. Unfortunately, neither pair lasted more than 50 miles. The mesh uppers split and the sole lugs turned to mush. Very disappointing. If the durablity was up to par with Montrail or others, they would be great shoes. I would be suspect of the newer ones until someone presents a positive review.

My favorite shoe is the Montrail Hardrock '07 or '08s, but they are getting hard to find. I recently purchased several pair from a member on this site. Once they are consumed, I will be searching for something new.

Ben Smith
    BPL Member

@goosefeet

Just so everybody knows, New England Footwear is now in control of the Golite Footwear brand, if you call them you can exchange your pair of old-style Golites for a new pair in their new line. I think I may try a pair of their waterproof Comps.

Brian Lewis

@brianle

Locale: Pacific NW

Since I need a wide toebox, I went with Golite Sundragons on the PCT in 2008. Did the first couple hundred miles in Sundragon I's, switched to Sundragon II's for the rest of the trail — something like 5 pairs for the whole trip.
    I plan to use Golite's on the AT next year, a combination of a couple remaining pairs of Sundragon II's, a pair of Versa Force, and two pairs of Force models (the latter two are things that are currently being made and sold).

I haven't done major miles in Force or Versa Force models yet, but some hiking suggests they'll be fine. Force is a bit heavier, Versa Force has a somewhat different heel, but all seem fine to me.

It's true that the uppers tear out, at least the Sun Dragon's do, but a person can still walk a lot of miles with holes in the fabric!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools