Topic

Thinking of sewing – hardware choices…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Thinking of sewing – hardware choices…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    John Davis

@billybooster

Locale: So Cal

I'm thinking of getting a sewing machine. I need it to not only do the silnylon thin stuff but also some thicker material to make a soft top for a vehicle (so waterproof,able to glue or heat seal clear vinyl to it etc. Quite thick!

So that's my starting point…

In addition to that – how does one connect two wide/long pieces of material that don't simply 'bunch up' in the space allowed towards the body of the machine? Is there a solution?

James D Buch
    BPL Member

@rocketman

Locale: Midwest

There are a whole variety of industrial sewing machines, many of them specialized for one job that they do well and fast.
    Long Arm Industrial Sewing Machine fast.

What you could use is a "long arm" sewing machine.

I hope the picture came through. Anyway, if you want to sew together very wide and very long panels, you probably need an industrial machine — not a domestic sewing machine.

Time to search for the phrase "industrial sewing machine long arm", or maybe "wide throat" because the throat is sometimes used to mean the distance to the right of the needle till you get to the support of the machine.

John Davis

@billybooster

thx!

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

Yeah you basically need an industrial machine or the like.

Well worth the $ if you are going to sew leather, convertable tops, canvas or anything heavy.

I ended up with a thompson mini-walker mostly because it was cheap and portable. Its got a shallow throat and its difficult, but portable and that is what I wanted.

I never saw the need to drop $1000 plus on a Juki until I sat down at one in a friends professional shop. Geez are those things smooth.

Difference is like between a 1965 VW beetle and an new Cadillac.

At any rate with my little mini-walker, I did a convertable top and the interior for 2 cars, both out of leather. Also did a pool cover out of acrylic stayfast canvas for my brother in law.

You can work with a short throat you just have to pre plan your assembly to keep the thickest bulkiest part on the outside. Eventually you will have to pass a bulk throught he middle. Hopefully not too bad and you can roll it and shove ti through. A real PIA.

Years ago, like in 1980 I did a vinyl interior for a car with a normal sewing machine and I would not recommend it.
    Very frustrating. You need enough power to go through thick fabric easily and smoothly.

Here you go, juki America.

If I was doing it again, I would look for a used Juki.

http://www.juki.co.jp/industrial_e/index_e.html

One on craigs list. This is what you need. Actually if I were going to build tents car/boat interiors or something like that I would be on it. I dont think these machines will bar tack and do some of the other normal functions. Not 100% on that though.

http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/for/1416274639.html

John Davis

@billybooster

are they 'too much' for the thinner siilnyl type fabrics?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools