Topic

gear sources in Canada?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) gear sources in Canada?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Hi all,

Just wondering where people get their ultralight backpacking gear in Canada? I’m in the Lower Mainland (Vancouver) and have found that MEC, like many big-box store, kinda sucks.

The strip of outdoor stores near MEC seem basically similar, with the exception of Valhalla Pure which I’ve had a soft spot for ever since I was in their first (and at the time only) store in New Denver.

Specifically, I’m looking for Evernew pots, some kind of pot cozy, the Snow Peak 4-oz fuel canisters, a Marmot wind shirt, and the Western Mountaineering flight vest.

Suggestions? I don’t mind mail-order; anything Canadian beats paying the duty!

Cheers!
    Brian

Russell Swanson

@rswanson

Locale: Midatlantic

I’m pretty sure that Evernew cookware is proprietary to REI, or at least exclusive there. I think you’re going to be out of luck getting that locally.

Anonymous

Hm… well there’s a second question: any suggestions for titanium cookware in the Great White North? Aside from the Titan Kettle, who makes what else that can be had by retail or mail order here?

Thanks!
    Brian

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

Erm… Evernew is a Japanese company.

Russell Swanson

@rswanson

Locale: Midatlantic

This is so but do you have an idea where else he can get Evernew stuff? I’ve only seen it at REI or on eBay.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

Just went through my list of online stores and MEC is the only one I can find in Canada that I know of. Living in Japan makes it a little difficult to find much…

Did find Mountain Magic, a Canadian company, but they don’t have Evernew. Might Canada have Commonwealth rights with places like Britain and Australia, where there are a lot of online stores? (I’m rather ignorant about this so please don’t hurt me! (^J^)/” )

Jeremy McDaniel

@jerm409

Locale: highest privy in the lower 48

not in canada, but are the new vargo pots not just the evernew .9 and 1.3 L pots w/o the handles, a knob and some holes drilled in the top???? and you can get them here and most likely your local outfitter.

Anonymous

Fewer fittings, holes, and attachments appeals to me! Where have you had luck buying Vargo pots in Canada? How about Vargo tents?

Thanks,
    Brian

Jeremy McDaniel

@jerm409

Locale: highest privy in the lower 48

please see above. but you can see the pots here, which is a US source as well as backpackinglight:

http://vargooutdoors.safeshopper.com/181/1587.htm?887

http://vargooutdoors.safeshopper.com/181/1586.htm?887

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada

I live in Canada. My main source of ultralight gear (almost my sole source really) is the Internet. But that’s true no matter where you live. This freakishy light stuff we all love is just not sold in stores. The only thing I use the MEC for is clothes and the odd item… basics like cord, energy bars (those Mojo fruit / nut bars are awesome) etc. I mean, the lightest pack they sell is probably 3.5 pounds! Same as any store you go to.

MEC does sell the MSR Titan kettle (as you mentioned)… which is really nice… and they also have Titanium sporks and such… don’t know about Evernew. Personally… I use an extreme light (sub 1 oz) pot that I buy from… the liquor store!! LOL :P

Channing Sze

@eeyore

i get a lot of my stuff from mec. not freakish light, but light enough, imho. for example,

MEC Alpinelite 30 Daypack (pull out the foam back and cut off all the straps)

Integral Designs Siltarp 1 or 2 Tarp

Western Mountaineering Ultralite Sleeping Bag
    Therm-a-Rest Z-Lite Sleeping Pad

MEC Northen Lite Vest
    MEC Dervish Windshirt

Snow Peak Mini Solo Cookset
    Snow Peak GigaPower Stainless Steel Manual LPG Stove (actually, i thought they had titanium)

and of course, integral designs, a canadian company, has a lot of good stuff. for example, Sil Poncho, PLQ Jacket and Pants, etc.

Channing Sze

@eeyore

mec also sells…

Adventure Medical Kits Survival Emergency Blanket (ground sheet)

Platypus Bottles

Watchful Eye Designs Aloksaks

Silicone-nylon Stuff Sacks

Titanium Cutlery

i don’t work for mec. if you live in toronto, taylor’s outdoor store (i think that’s what they are call, just next to mec) also sells golite stuff. europe bound across the street sells patagonia stuff (like the micropuff).

Anonymous

Yeah MEC has interesting stuff, and I shop there too. But as far as I can tell, they don’t have the Titan Kettle *alone* (they sell it as a kit with the Pocket Rocket stove) and they don’t have the 4-oz Snow Peak canisters that fit so nicely in a mug.

Sorry to knock MEC so hard; they serve a broad market and make good money doing it. I’m just wondering where to find some of the *niche* products that BPLers use. I’m a fondle-before-you-buy guy and I wish I could find a place where I could actually *see* what a Snow Peak 600 mug looks and feels like.

For instance, I was amazed at how small the MSR Titan Mini Cookset really is when I finally found it last night for *GASP* $140 CAD at a retail outlet. I’m so glad I didn’t order it off the internet; it looks like hobbit cookware. (I have a crappy imagination.)

Thanks for the responses all; I’ll keep hunting!

Cheers!
    Brian

Chris Nott
    Spectator

@chrisn

Locale: Canada west coast

Europe Bound (kitty corner to Valhalla – sorta – on the Broadway strip in Vancouver) has limited titanium cookware (perhaps just the MSR kettle). They also had a couple Marmot Chinooks several months ago but they were all gone last I checked (2 weeks ago). The tiny backpacker shop immediately across from MEC (the one with the yellow backpack as part of the sign) had some Montane clothing a couple months ago but, again, all gone as of 2 weeks ago.

I’d also like to find some Canadian mail order places. I’ve ordered from the states a couple times and the duty kills me. I got a Marmot Ion for $60US from REI-outlet and it ended up costing me $110CDN in the end.

Brian Ng

@brian-1

That’s funny, last year, I bought a bunch of snowpeak 4oz (110g) canisters from MEC for about $5.50CAD each.

Altus across the street sells Snowpeak as well, so perhaps they have the canisters… haven’t checked this year, I haven’t run out of fuel yet.

bob quimby

@qbrob1

i live near windsor, ont., so rei is only like 1/2 hour away in detroit. usually if you only spend around $150-200, customs doesn’t bother with pulling you in.if they do, all you pay is tax anyway, which you would pay if you bought in canada in the first place. for me, mec is mail order unless i drive 4 hours to toronto. there are no stores for hiking/backpacking in my area so the internet is usually my first choice.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools