Topic

Make your own UL notebook

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Make your own UL notebook

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

The only Rite In The Rain notebook I have found locally weighs 3+ ounces (do see the 0.7 ones available here). I took 8 pages of 8.5″x11″ printing paper, cut them in half, folded that batch in half, poked 3 holes in the valley of the fold and sewed it together with some Spectra fishing line. That gives me 32 4.25″x5.5″ pages to write on (no covers) and it weighs 1.1oz/30g and took about 10 minutes to make. Add Fisher Stowaway Space Pen and bake at 75F for three days :)

Jay Ham

@jham

Locale: Southwest

Dale,

That’s a really cool idea. It could even go a step further using Rite in the Rain’s water resistant notebook paper. Even barring that, it’s still cool. Thanks for posting this.

Jay
    MYOG

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I grabbed the first paper at hand, which was 28# color printing stock left over from work. With a little lookin’ I could find something thin and tough.

I thought about the Rite-in-the-Rain coated stock, but I would just buy the ready-made notebook by that time.

I really like the Moleskin notebooks for travel, but they are a little heavy for the UL world. I was thinking of 3-4 day weekend hikes for my 1oz. version.

You could have fun with it– use colored stock, mix colored stock for a rainbow notebook, cut a peice of Tyvek shipping envelope or Polycro for a cover and so on. Extra points for using recycled stuff– that last page with one line on it when you print a Web page, etc.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools