Topic

Time for new trekking poles

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Time for new trekking poles

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Craig Burton

@missingutah

Locale: Smoky Mountains

So I decided to pack my trekking poles with my checked baggage on my last trip, pulled up to the trailhead, grabbed my poles, and the hydraulics were blown! I realize this can be fixed, but I didn't know how to do it and backpacking without poles was a miserable experience I don't want to have again. I want to replace these poles anyway, so I'm here for your suggestions.

I've been MIA here for a while, so I don't know what new, lightweight poles are available these days. In the past I've been intrigued by the ultralight fixed-length poles available; but I'm not so sure they match well with my system — given that I have shelters with varying pole lengths required for setup.

So, 2 questions:

1) What adjustable-length poles do you recommend?

2) Should I avoid packing adjustable poles in a suitcase for the future? The poles showed no signs of hydraulic failure before, and I had never checked them before either. I'm no physicist, but I deduced that the weight packed on top of my poles in addition to the pressurized cargo hold put a little too much stress on my poles and made them spring a leak.

Thanks all!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools