Topic

CO 14ers and 13ers in winter

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking CO 14ers and 13ers in winter

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Zack Karas
    BPL Member

@iwillchopyouhotmail-com

Locale: Lake Tahoe

I'll be in CO with my wife during the holidays and we plan on sneaking away from the family for a few days to visit the backcountry. What 14ers or 13ers are easily doable on snowshoes, have little avalanche danger and have easy vehicle approaches. We would prefer to sleep in the car if the TH is close to the summit, but we aren't against hiking in and camping.

Peaks and route info would be greatly appreciated from anyone who has actually done this in true winter conditions. I also have Roach's guide.

joe w

@sandalot

nm

backpackerchick
    BPL Member

@backpackerchick

What month?

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Quandary and Pikes are pretty easy in the winter. There is a good SummitPost article that describes the avy danger on the CO 14ers.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I'm in the same boat – visiting my daughter's family in Lewisville (beside Boulder) over Christmas and wanting to do a 13er or 14er with my BC skis &/or new MSR Lightning Ascent snowshoes.

Because the Lightning Ascents are SO grippy I think they'd substitute for crampons on windpacked snow.

But ya gotta start at first light (or an even earlier "Alpine start") to get back down from many of those peaks before dark. That means getting up at 4 AM in the city unless you opt to have a base camp, which I'll likely do.

Eric

joe w

@sandalot

nm

Zack Karas
    BPL Member

@iwillchopyouhotmail-com

Locale: Lake Tahoe

I've decided to go to RMNP and bag some 13ers. Always wanted to go there in winter.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools