Topic

Looking for Hiking Partner to hike Mt Whitney Summer 2010

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Looking for Hiking Partner to hike Mt Whitney Summer 2010

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Greg Mareno

@gregmarenomsn-com

I'd like to do this trip, unfortunately nobody in my circle of friends is interested. I want to do it, but not alone. There is safety in numbers.

I'm really not interested in a hiking club (got two young kids – no time), just to meet a person or group who plan to go up and go with them. Just want to find a group to go with, talk to, stratagize with, make plans and….hike the mountain.

I live in Ventura County, married with children, and keep in good shape.

This is something I've always wanted to do, and I see it every time I drive up the 395 and say to myself…one day.

Well, that day will come in the summer of 2010, I'd just like to do it with others.

If no posts, I'd appreciate any advice from the veterans on this site as to where to find such a person or group.

Dave T

@davet

Anonymous
    Inactive

"don't worry too much about it. it's a long, but not difficult, hike up a good trail to the top.

and you can't POSSIBLY be alone on it. you'll likely have 50 other people at the summit with you."

++1

Go for it!! When you start depending on the presence of others, you trip frequency will go south in a hurry.

Robert Perkins
    Spectator

@rp3957

Locale: The Sierras

Greg, I will be starting my JMT hike next August at the Whitney Portal, you could hike that portion with me, provided we can obtain permits in the Whitney Lottery. I am looking at early to mid August and will be putting in for multiple alternate dates on application. There is a plethora of info at Inyo National Forest website on the Whitney Lottery system. I wouldn't be worried too much about bears, unless your camping in the parking lot, but the marmots at Trailcrest and trail camp will chew through packs and tents to get to food. The trail is well maintained, but don't underestimate altitude sickness. Do some training hikes at altitude if possible to give yourself a better chance at finishing. Robert.

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

Sorry. I mis-read…your time is limited.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools