Topic

Hasty Hooch modification? by Minibull designs

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Hasty Hooch modification? by Minibull designs

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Robert Patton

@rpatton911

Has anyone attempted the Hasty Hooch or done a trial with the Hasty Hooch design by using 1.1 silnylon. Very somple if the glue will hold.
    Please let me know.

Rob

Anonymous

Rob, no one has figured out a glue for silnylon, not as far as I know.

You can use diluted silicone caulk for seam sealing, but I’ve tested it for glueing and it holds if you try to pull the layers apart; however, it will separate if the layers are “peeled” apart.

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

Hi Robert-
    I made a Hasty Hooch last summer (out of the regular tarp material Tinny uses). I think you’ll have to sew it if you use Silnylon. That 3M adhesive won’t stick to it. Also, there’s a circular patch that goes where the trekking pole supports the crest. If you use Silnylon, you might want to consider doubling it up to compensate for the thinness of the material. I have to say, it’s a clever design!

Robert Patton

@rpatton911

Jason,

Have you ever thought about a material sold in the sewing section, and i cant remember the name of it but its for doing hems without sewing.Its like a little strip of glue and you iron it on to “hem” your pants without sewing. I wonder if you placed a towel over the hem or joining pieces and ironed at a low temp if it would hold? Oh well just a thought.

Rob

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Hi Rob,
    Well, does it come in strips or a sheet? The Hasty Hooch doesn’t require any edges to be put together. There is just one big triangular-shaped piece on top and a couple of smaller discs that go where the trekking pole pitches the tent. If it’s a sheet that you could cut to shape, then it might work but it might also be heavy. If it comes in strips I don’t think it would work. Do you think it would stick to Silnylon? There was an article recently in Backpacker Magazine about stitchless technology and I wonder if that adhesive could be applied to making a Hasty Hooch out of Silnylon.

Robert Patton

@rpatton911

it comes in a roll thats about 1 inch wide and 10 – 15 ft long also another idea is a dropcloth type hooch like apx 3 mm but something that weighs less than the tarp used by Tinny when i get home from the firestation i might try the iron adhesive on some scraps of sil nylon to see how it does will try to let everyone know this weekend.

Rob

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Great, thanks. I really don’t think the roll would work unless you want to spend an inordinate amount of time cutting strips and covering the entire triangle. It would take forever! Let us know about your experiment. Thanks for reminding me about the HH. I have been saying for months that I was going to make another one out of lighter material and have really been slacking. Once the weather cooperates, I’ll try it again.

Jay Ham

@jham

Locale: Southwest

If you’re talking about the stuff I think you’re talking about it’s sometimes called “stitch witchery” (might have other names as well). Though I’ve never tried it on silnylon, it doesn’t have much holding power on cotton fabric. You can easily pull the seams apart, and they often come apart on their own after going through the wash a couple dozen times.

Jay
    MYOG

Robert Patton

@rpatton911

Jay,
    Yes thats the name of it i have actually had good luck with it both on cotton and on polyester like the “under armor ” type shirts. Well i guess we will see this weekend hopefully it will work but my hopes grow dimmer with each post. But you will never know until you try so i will keep you all informed.

Rob

Robert Patton

@rpatton911

Well,
    the results are in

Failed miserably with the stich wichery it wont work was so hoping it would but oh well back to the drawing board.

Rob

Matthew Martin

@spchtr

Doesn’t SilNylon um, well, melt?

Couldn’t you ‘weld’ a seam together by heating and pressing? Possibly using something like a head gun?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools