Topic

the Inov-8 sizing thread

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) the Inov-8 sizing thread

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Richard D.
    BPL Member

@legkohod

Locale: Eastern Europe / Caucasus

My typical shoe size is 12 or 12.5. I have worn three models of inov-8s extensively:

305: go 1/2 a size up — 13 fits me perfectly
    320: go 1/2 a size up — 13 fits great
    315: go 1 or 1.5 size up — 13 is tight, 14 is a bit loose, but doable.

I know this information is scattered across the forums, but it would be nice to have a thread devoted specifically to sizing variations of the different models of inov-8s. Feel free to contribute!

Julian Thomas

@jtclicker

my 330s came in a size up. I take 10.5 (UK) EE terroc 330 in 11.5 fit great!

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

In non inov-8 shoes I typically wear either a US10.5/EU44 or a US11/EU45 depending on the make and style of the shoe. Typically I get my shoes in a narrow width.

Inov-8 shoes I have worn:

295 (size 11)… perfect fit
    310 (size 11)… perfect fit
    330 (size 11 was the closest, but never felt completely right)
    390 (size 12.5… but it has room for extra thick socks. My normal socks size 12 would have been the best size)

Most others required between 1/2 – 1 size larger… typically because my toes felt pinched. The rest of the shoe was typically fine for me at the correct size… hence why the flyroc has been my standard shoe.

–Mark

William Puckett

@beep

Locale: Land of 11, 842 lakes

My street size 13 feet are perfect in a size 14 Inov-8 305.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

Running shoes are a 9.5 4E (2E would probably be ok though).

295 – 10.5 fit great
    310 – 9.5 too tight at heel and in toe box – probably need a 10 or 10.5

Boozer
    BPL Member

@anywayoutside

Locale: South East

I wear either US10.5/EU44 or a US11/EU45. I default to a US11 if I order online because I have a slightly wide and higher volume foot.

Inov-8's –

240 (Size 11) – Largest volume & width Inov-8 I have worn. I would prefer a 10.5 in these, but the fit is just large enough that I will use these with thicker socks such as sealskinz. I will buy these again but size down to 10.5.
    295 (Size 10.5) – FAR too tight for me. So tight I never even tried a size 11.
    310 (Size 11) – Excellent fit straight out of the box. I can get on trail with a brand new pair with no worry of fit.
    330 (Size 11) – Excellent fit. Very similar to the 310, but the heal seems not to be as narrow. Also the toe box and fore foot seem to be wider.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

This is a great idea, but:
    1) Things like this soon get lost in the vast gearcloset that is the BPL forums. It's just the kind of thing that the BPL Wiki would handle well … IF we made gave it a bit more life.

2) I'm pretty sure that Inov-8 uses a couple different lasts so pls also report the "model name" (RocLite, Terroc, etc) with this info … different lasts can fit a given foot differently.

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

Inov8 shoes are built on either the Endurance or Performance last.
    The Performance last gives i tighter fit for racing, and the Endurance last gives a wider, more comfortable fit for longer training runs.

Richard D.
    BPL Member

@legkohod

Locale: Eastern Europe / Caucasus

I've created a page on Inov-8 at the BPL wiki. It has a link to this discussion and some general info about the company. Feel free to contribute to that page.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Mike, which last tends to be better for lightweight backpacking?

My wife and I currently use an older version of the Salomon Solaris for dry N California conditions and are looking for other shoe options including inov-8, Montrail, etc.

David Neumann
    BPL Member

@idahomtman

Locale: Southern Oregon Coast

Half size up just as the company website suggests.

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

"which last tends to be better for lightweight backpacking? "

I don't think one answer would suit everyone. The Performance last is meant to be a snug fit so there is no movement in the shoe at all. The foot is held solid even when traversing steep hill sides at speed. They are meant for actual racing, when you can put up with a bit of discomfort for a few hours. I have a pair of Mudclaws that are superb over steep, muddy terrain, but they start to hurt after 5 or 6 hours.
    The Endurance last is roomier (by Inov8's standards) so i can wear my Roclite 295's all day.
    I have a wide forefoot, so what suits me might not suit anyone else.
    Shoes using the Endurance last should be more comfortable for most folk, if using them all day. Just my opinion.

I'm using a pair of Mizuno Wave Harriers at the moment, and find they suit my feet. Worth checking out if you have a broad forefoot.

jacob huwe

@uticafats

Locale: Upstate New York

I typically wear a 9d.

310: 9.5 is perfect
    318: 10 is perfect. The toe box was to small on the 9.5

I think the Gore-tex liner on the 318 my cause it to to be slightly smaller then the rest of the line. I'm not sure if they use different lasts for different models.

Mike Klinefelter
    Spectator

@mjkline

Locale: Southern California

On the Inov8 USA website they recently posted their "Size Adjustment for 2009 Models", basically a list of each model and how they fit. I think it's fairly accurate as to the variation in each of shoe model's fit. here's a link:

http://inov-8.com/News-Detail.asp?NL=27&L=27&NID=289

and here's the info:

We receive a lot of calls and emails asking how the shoes fit. Below is the list of 2009 shoe styles, evaluated by the team, of how the different models run.

x-talon 212- True
    f-lite 230- True
    mudclaw 270- True
    Mudroc 280- True
    Roclite 282- True
    Roclite 285- Order half a size up
    Mudroc 290- True
    Roclite 295- True/order half a size down
    f-lite 300- Order half size up
    f-lite 301 PK- Order half size up
    Roclite 305- Order half size up
    f-lite 305 PK- Order half size up
    Terroc 308- True
    Flyroc 310- True
    Roclite 312 GTX- Order half size up
    Roclite 315- Order half size up
    Roclite 318 GTX- Order half size up
    Roclite 320- Order half size up
    Roclite 320 PK- Order half size up
    Terroc 330- True
    Mudclaw 330 O- True
    f-lite 335- Order full size up
    Flyroc 345 GTX- Order full size up
    Roclite 370- True/Order half size down
    Roclite 390 GTX- True/Order half size down

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

I don't know where they came up with that chart but from all of the experiences I've read on here it's very off. I have to wonder if they don't use testers whose feet they model the lasts after.

Harlan Bruce

@gbruce

Locale: DFW MetroPlex

I ordered mine a half size up to 11 and they are just right. I have a wide foot and am not comfy in medium widths. The extra half made these fit very well, if a teeny bit long.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"I ordered mine a half size up"

This matches my experience, from 9.5 to 10 in my case. Lots roomier in the toe box that way. Great shoes when you get 'em to fit.

BTW, the Roclite 370 is being discontinued, so get 'em while they last. Go figure.

Daniel Benthal

@dbthal

Locale: Mid-Coast Maine

I need to make sure I understand the guidance on sizing.

When I purchase "running shoes" for hiking, I always go 1/2 size up. So my street shoe size is 12 and my New Balance shoes used for hiking are size 12.5

When the posters talk about going 1/2 size up from their "normal" size for Inov-8, are you referring to going up from street shoe size (12 to 12.5) or 1/2 size up from other hiking shoes (street shoe 12, hiker 12.5, Inov-8 sz 13)?

This info helps because I need to purchase Inov-8 online & can't try them on before ordering.

Thanks!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools