Topic

Powdered milk question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Powdered milk question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Justin Chaussee

@judach

Locale: Earth

What is the ratio of powdered milk to water? Is it 1:4?

Richard Gless
    BPL Member

@rgless

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I use Nestle's Nido which is available in Hispanic grocery stores in CA. The instructions say use 1/4 cup of milk and dilute to 1 cup with water. Since I usually use milk only for cooking or cereal, I usually just eyeball the measurements. If you actually drink the milk you should experiment and see what ratios suite your tastes.

My recolletion for Milkman 2%, which is no longer available, was that you mixed an envelope of milk powder with 1/2 quart of water, stirred, then diluted to 1 quart. I think I remember measuring out the amount of milk powder for a glass to 1/4 to 1/3 cup of powder with 3/4 cup of water.

Jeff Antig

@antig

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I use some Safeway brand found at Pavilions/Vons and just add enough for it to look or taste like milk.

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

It varies vastly on brand. I tend to use way less milk than suggested.

Joseph Reeves
    Spectator

@umnak

Locale: Southeast Alaska

I've not seen Milk Man anywhere outside of Alaska, but the "kiss of cream" that it contains makes it the best available. I use 3:1 ratio water to milk.

Richard Gless
    BPL Member

@rgless

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Here's a BPL thread from a couple of years ago you might find interesting on what powdered milk people have used and like.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=3279

John Haley

@quoddy

Locale: New York/Vermont Border

I use Nido (Amazon.com) and find that 60g (2.1oz) added to about 16oz of water tastes about right. I take the 360g tins and package six snack zip bags from it. Mixed (in a 20oz bottle) with two Carnation Instant Breakfasts, it make an excellent breakfast drink. I usually drink two bottles which just about covers breakfast and also hydrates for the start of a long hiking day.

Justin Chaussee

@judach

I found NIDO at walmart next to me. I plan on using it for cooking, not drinking. For example: I want to make mashed potatoes next time I go backpacking. The box of potatoes I have calls for 1 1/2 cups water and 1/2 cup of milk. I want to just pack the potatoes along with the dehydrated milk in a ziplock bag, but how much more water will I have to add? How much powdered milk would I add?

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

In theory, you should add the amount of water necessary for the milk + the amount necessary for the potatoes.

However, in practice, I have had what I consider great results using much less water for the milk part of the equation. Perhaps it's an individual taste thing, but it works for me. Nido tastes good for cooking.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

I tend to use 1/3 cup powder dry milk per 1 cup water for a richer flavor (more calories as well). For dry meals per person I add 1 to 2 Tbsp of it in with the starch or grains.

As for Milkman mentioned, it went out of production about 1 1/2 years ago…..sadly not made anymore.

Unknown abc

@edude

It should say on the box lol

Dicentra OPW

@dicentra

Locale: PNW

Ditto what Sar already said. I use 1/3 cup powdered to 1 cup liquid. It ain't rocket science. 1/4-1/3 cups works fine. There's different "types" of milk, right? :)

Justin Chaussee

@judach

"It should say on the box lol"

-Not when you buy it in bulk. There are no instructions on the bag.

P ritch

@flix

Locale: Seattle area

My memories of powdered milk come from a childhood spent overseas where fresh milk was not available. At least back then, the early seventies, powdered milk had such a nasty aftertaste that I could not choke it down. To this day, just thinking about powdered milk triggers a strong reaction. As such, I have not tried it for backpacking.

So, is the aftertaste still there?

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

For using in recipes you won't notice any taste. On the other hand, using it to make actual milk, no thanks ;-)

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

In our bulk stores they have a little sticky note that you pull off a pad and that has the milk instructions on it.

Dicentra OPW

@dicentra

Locale: PNW

I've never seen that. Not sure I'd buy it. Maybe smell it first? It would have to have a pretty good (high) turnover… so it doesn't go rancid. Assuming it's a higher fat milk product.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

I know at places like PCC I have seen it in the baking section of bulk….but yeah, I'd rather not. Open to air for who knows how long….

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools