Topic

ID Hot Socks v. Sierra Designs Down Mutts/Booties

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) ID Hot Socks v. Sierra Designs Down Mutts/Booties

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Adam Frizzell
    BPL Member

@adamf

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

Hi all,

I was curious if anyone could speak to these? I'm looking through some of the options at ProLite and would like to pick something up for this winter for foot warmth while sleeping but also for light walking around camp in the evening.
    Anyone have any experience with IDs Hot Socks or Sierra Designs Booties/Mutts? My use would be for insulation from cold weather and not for tramping through snow (though snow could always show up whether I wanted it to or not).
    I'd love to hear some opinions. Thanks!

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Love my ID Hot Socks. But I don't walk around camp in them, I only use them for sleeping. While I'm a warm sleeper, that never pertains to my feet. They keep my feet as toasty as the rest of me. 2 thumbs up. Or toes. whatever.

Jolly Green Giant
    BPL Member

@regultr

Locale: www.jolly-green-giant.blogspot.com

Nunatak offers a "Teanaway" bootie that is extremely light and warm. Unfortunately, Tom wasn't able to make them match the weights listed on his website. In fact, mine was twice as heavy as listed, so I returned them. Buyer beware, but if he gets it right, it would be a nice option. He decided he couldn't get it right for me, so I use the ID Hot Socks when extra warmth is necessary.

Adam Frizzell
    BPL Member

@adamf

Thanks Mike. I checked out the FF site and those down booties are really nice! I'm feeling like the might be overkill for my needs. I could totally see them for serious winter hiking when heavy snow was a sure thing.
    At $85 and and 9oz, a little to pricey and heavy for the infrequency of use I'd put them through.

Hey Doug,
    Glad to hear you give the Hot Socks 10 toes up. You just wear them to sleep? Do you think the bottoms are tough enough for walking around in? Again, just thinking in terms of nature calls, going to grab something from my bear bag, etc. Nothing too serious.
    Thanks for the replies.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Yeah, you could walk around in them. Both trips I've been on since I had them have been wet, so I didn't want to walk around in them, get them wet, then put them in the footbox of my quilt. The bottoms are a cloth/cordura type fabric (unlike the Sierra Designs booties, which have a harder bottom, which is why I wouldn't sleep in them. I have a pair of the moccasins, new, unused, if you're interested). I wouldn't think they'd rip all that easily. They're light and it's like wearing socks instead of a shoe, which is what I like about them for sleeping.

Jeff K
    Spectator

@jeff-k

Locale: New York

What about getting some overboots that could go over the down booties, hot socks, etc. You could get some tyvek booties which I don't think would weight to much. Then you can keep your down booties nice and clean when you need to run out when nature calls.

Thoughts?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

I'll bet Tim Marshall could make you a sweet pair of cuben booties.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I have the Down Mutts. I bought them at REI for $7 on clearance and use them to sleep in. I guess they would work in the snow as long as you didn't let it melt, but they are more made for in sleeping bag/tent/shelter/etc.. use.

The bottom is a codora type material. They use duck down instead of goose down and you can tell they are inexpensively made (i.e. they sell for ~$25 not ~$100+ that some down booties are). I don't have a working scale at the moment, but mine feel heavier than the advertised 4oz, but that seems to be a common thing with down booties.

I have never used the ID Hot Socks, but they look thinner. I really like the down/synthetic sleeping sock idea but they seem to be really hard to find.

Tom Caldwell
    BPL Member

@coldspring

Locale: Ozarks

I have the ID Hot Sox. Found them on sale. I walk around camp, mostly for midnight nature calls, as long as it isn't muddy. They seem pretty durable and it couldn't be easier to slip them on and off. My size larges are 5.1 oz w/o the stuff sack, so not exactly SUL there.

I think Big Agnes also makes booties that you can often find on sale.

Jeff Jeff
    BPL Member

@jeffjeff

I like my hot socks for shoulder season, but if I am snow camping there is no substitute for down booties/mutts. The hot socks are like a thermawrap for your feet. The down booties are a lot warmer.

First Last
    BPL Member

@snusmumriken

Locale: SF Bay Area

I have the Sierra Designs down socks. 3 ounces for the pair. Great warm sleeping socks for winter camping. As the poster above I bought mine at an REI half off sale so they were only a few dollars.

I'd think you'd really not want to walk around in the same socks / booties as you're sleeping in for several reasons: it adds weight to the booties to make them with a waterproof material and a real sole, and it would get your sleeping bag dirty.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

"I like my hot socks for shoulder season, but if I am snow camping there is no substitute for down booties/mutts. The hot socks are like a thermawrap for your feet. The down booties are a lot warmer."

I think I'm putting together a 'best of both worlds', we'll see. I just ordered the Feathered Friends booties that a previous poster mentioned. They look fabulous! I'll wear the outers with the ID hot socks this time of year as camp shoes, then pull the outers for sleeping. I'll wear the outers with the FF down booties when it gets much colder the same way!

Adam Frizzell
    BPL Member

@adamf

Great idea Doug.
    I just ordered a pair of the Hot Socks from ProLite. Maybe come December/January I'll go with your approach and pick up a pair of the FF down booties.
    Let us know how this works itself out.
    And thanks to everyone for your replies!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools