Topic

Transitional Hiker – An Australian Story

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Transitional Hiker – An Australian Story

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Argo Sane

@indicus

Locale: Blue Mountains, Australia

Nice tale Mark, how well I know the feeling of "I used to be able to…" and the loong climb back to competence let alone excellence…

Michael Prouting

@aussiebushwalker

Locale: Macarthur, NSW, Australia

Hi all. I'm a long time forum lurker, first time poster.

Just wanted to say thanks to Mark for writing such a good article from an aussie perspective.

After joining a bushwalking club I was lucky enough to befriend a fellow walker who had discovered the UL world some time ago, on many a walk as we were discussing different pieces of equipment he would invariably say "too heavy". At first I thought he was nuts and did not pay much attention to his opinions. Around the same time I found the now legendary "The Australian Bushwalking FAQ". After several (yes, several) reads of the FAQ I started to see that it was possible to enjoy walking without carrying a truck load of heavy gear. Since then I have been doing lots of research on the web at sites like this one, I've had some good long chats with my UL walking buddy including an overnighter where he turned up with a frameless Golite pack and tarp shelter (without the nest part and it was summer).

Consequently I have started to obtain UL gear and have also started down the MYOG path as well (though I need to learn to sew) including quite a collection of pepsi stoves (how easy and fun are these to make).

I'd still call myself transitional but I am getting there.

Enough of my rambling on.

Cheers,
    Michael.

Mark McLauchlin
    BPL Member

@markmclauchlin

Locale: Western Australia

Thanks for the comments Michael,

Enjoy your quest for lightness.

Cheers
    Mark

Mick Beckers
    BPL Member

@mickos_b

Thanks Mark.

Inspiring read. I hope to get my kit down to something like yours.

Mick

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools