Topic

Equinox Bivy vs. MLD, BMW

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Equinox Bivy vs. MLD, BMW

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    John Brown
    Spectator

@johnbrown2005

Locale: Portland, OR

I’m considering buying the Equinox bivy for primarily wind protection in the desert, and some summer tarp camping in the Northwest. Any reason not to choose it over it’s pricier cousins, the MLD, BMW bivys? If I had the cash, I’d rather have the nicer stuff, but since I don’t I’m wondering if this is a good area to save.

Thanks!

Glenn Roberts

@garkjr

Locale: Southwestern Ohio

If price is your main concern, the Equinox will be fine. It’s not waterproof, so you’ll want to use a tarp with it. It’s also a cut a little large – which means it tends to get a little twisted as you move around. (Caveat: based on one night in it.) It also doesn’t have bug netting. But, at 7 ounces, it is light.

For about $25 more ($89), you might consider the REI Minimalist. It’s waterproof/breathable, and has a small bug net over the face hole. You’ll still need a tarp (no fabric covering for the face hole – none on the Equinox, either), but a 5×8 will be fine (5×8 might be a little small to keep the Equinox reliably dry – depends on how good you are at pitching tarps. I used an 8×10.) The Minimalist also has a waist-length zipper on both sides, letting you open it fully to the waist – the Equinox only opens on one side. I’ve spent several nights in the Minimalist, one in August in Ohio, and never got too badly overheated (about the same in August as a small tent like the Zoid 1). I find the Minimalist is a pretty good budget-priced bivy, and worth the extra cost over the Equinox. (My cost-be-damned go-to bivy would be the Integral Designs Salathe – all 2 pounds and $200+ of it.) The weight of the Minimalist isn’t too bad either: 16 ounces. (You can save most of the extra 10 ounces by carrying a smaller tarp.)

John Brown
    Spectator

@johnbrown2005

The one I ordered arrived today. Looks nice, basic. Made in the USA. A few questions (maybe two threads? protocol people can advise.)

-It says it’s made from sil-cordura, looks like regular sil-nylon. What makes it cordura? I’ve always thought of cordura as a very beefy fabric.

-The DWR on the top is good but not great. I was thinking of treating with a wash-in DWR treatment. Would that reduce breathability in any substantial way?

-Would it make sense to put silicon-sealer stripes on the bottom to keep pad from sliding, a la tarptent?

Thanks!

Anonymous

Light bivies with Quantum or similar tops and silnylon (or sil-cordura) bottoms seem quite popular among the small-tarp set. I’ve been wondering whether the additional protection provided by the waterproof bottom and a second layer of nylon on top would be justified by the weight for someone using a Quantum bag with similar DWR treatment. Specifically I’m wondering if the weight might be better “spent” on a larger tarp and a small ground sheet. Has anyone else gone through this decision process recently? What did you decide?

John Brown
    Spectator

@johnbrown2005

It’s a very fair question, I’ve been wondering similar… There was another post with a similar question about the value of DWR layer over DWR layer a week or so ago. I think “bivy” was in the subject line.

One of the appeals to me of the light bivy is that I do alot of camping in the desert where I don’t use a tarp, but wind is a major factor.

Still a good question, I hope lots of folks respond.

Erik Sund

@sundek

Thanks, John. I went back and found that thread, and it answered at least a good portion of my question. I can at least see that a second layer of DWR nylon (or whatever) in a light bivy would provide additional protection. I’m still curious about whether or not such a bivy would be the most effective use of 7 or so ounces. This is interesting.

Michael Febbo
    Spectator

@febbom

I have the older (non-hooded) Equinox bivy and attempted to use it a few times with a Silshlter (a small tarp for me at 6’2″). Slid all over the place with the silnylon bottom. Also found the smaller tarp to be a real pain to live in during bad weather- cramped. I most often use an 18oz. Golite Cave 2 for solo trips with no bivy. The extra room eliminates splash, lets me sit up and change clothes with no problem, and even cook. It is much more livable for bad weather. I have found that I would rather prevent the bag from getting wet due to more tarp coverage than deal with splash all over everything… even if it does not get into the insulation of my bag.
    I do use a bivy in winter however. I have found that I prefer to allow the bivy (most breathable possible) to get frosted up instead of my bag’s shell. I can just shake the bivy off- without it, the bag’s shell always retains some small amount of frost or ice and tends to melt when I stuff it. Oh, yeah, I hate putting pads inside bivies- hard to sleep in the fetal position.

Jason Shaffer

@pa_jay

Locale: on the move....

Anon,
    I’d agree to a point, tho I’m a quantum bivy fan too. Interesting that Ryan J prefers the bivy/open-tarp set up, partially I’d assume because a bivy is nice w/ the arc bags that he also prefers; Glen of Gossamer Gear gets by without the bivy, partially because he uses a top bag with the bottom sewn shut with an enclosed Spinnshelter. Seems to compliment what you’re saying. The latter is generally the lighter option, but the Nano bivy cuts it closer.

Mostly I prefer a 9.5′ long tarp + bivy + arc bag. Very livable in wet weather. When less windy and wet/cold, I do drop the bivy for a large shroud of bug netting and groundsheet (equal wt however, ~5.5 oz). The kicker is when I want the larger bug-free space of the latter, along with the bivy for storm protection, say on longer trips with less predictable conditions. So far I bite the bullet and take the netting AND the bivy, minus bivy’s face-net and the groundsheet. Still very livable, but I hear what you’re saying.

Cold and damp characterize most of my trips tho, and in fringe-seasons and winter, quantum bivies do work exceptionally well.

Glenn Roberts

@garkjr

Locale: Southwestern Ohio

I’m sorry – I made a mistake in my earlier post and just now caught it.

The REI Minimalist bivy does have a mesh covering over the face hole; the Equinox does not.

That’ll teach me to post without my brain engaged!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools