Topic

TGO Challenge clothing list questions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) TGO Challenge clothing list questions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    john flanagan

@jackfl

Locale: New England

There seems to be quite a lively conversation about the TGO Challenge that floats about here so I thought I'd throw out a few questions and see what results :)

My biggest questions are around clothing to meet the wild variation in weather. My understanding of the environment is that it can range from 70s and sun to 30's in wind, sleet and snow on the tops, with night time temps well below freezing. Sound about right?

To cope with this, I'm considering the following gear, which I'd love feedback on.

Base layers
    *Merino zip turtleneck (ice breakers 200 wght)
    *Merino t-shirt
    *Patagonia capilene boxers
    *Patagonia silkwgt capilene longjohns – I'm debating the need for these

Insulating Layers
    *MEC primaloft pullover
    *MEC expedition wght gilet or vest – I'm debating the need for this as well

Outer Layers
    *Montane lightspeed windshirt
    *Montane Terra Pants heavily treaked with nikwax
    *Montbell Peak Shell – rain
    * cropped frog togs rain pants; I've come across an interesting idea of layering heavily nikwaxed windpants over the terra pants and calling it good. The idea seemed to be that this works much like the paramo system. I'd love input on this as it would be more flexible for bar time and clothing washouts.

Headwear
    *peaked ball cap
    *woolcap
    *buff

Feet
    *I'd love your thoughts on socks that work particularly well in the constant wet (i.e. less prone to causing skin irriation, blisters and faster drying) For the first time I'm considering synthetics.
    *low gaiters to keep crud out of shoes and off aforementioned socks.
    *hiking shoes
    *crocs

Hands
    *a couple pairs of polypro liner gloves
    *MLD event rain mitts

This would allow wearing up to 5 layers on the torso with primaloft jacket in reserve, and 2 on the legs with long johns in reserve.

Comments please!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools