Topic

Getting Back Into Backpacking – My Gear List

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Getting Back Into Backpacking – My Gear List

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Zachary Crane
    BPL Member

@zcrane

Locale: Midwest, USA

Jeff Patrick –

At this point my budget is fairly flexible since there isn't a whole lot of gear left that I actually need to go backpacking, be it light or heavy-weight.

At this point, I'm willing to drop some money on a top-notch tent and bag, as those are the two items of most significance. I'm also willing to save up if need-be in order to get the proper gear. No sense in buying junk that I'll just have to buy again later.

I agree that a few trial-runs are in order, but if you look at my gear list, there are several items that I have yet to purchase. Before I get those, I'm afraid I'm stuck at home. Rest assured, once I acquire everything, I will be making many mini-trips to test out what combination of gear works best in different situations.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

The following would be my suggestions. Possible weight savings listed with replacement items or items I would drop. Generic recommendation on my recommended gear pages.

3-6lbs… an appropriate weight backpack. Once you figure out what volume and load you are carrying to go with an appropriate backpack. The good news is that the Gregory Palisade should have a decent resale value which might completely pay for a new pack. If money is no object then you might get a lighter pack after phase I of a downsize and then do another later when you are completely settled.

7.5oz… gossamer gear plastic pack liner to replace event compression sacks.

8oz… for a different flashlight system. My choice is a fenix l1d + eQ button micro headlamp but there are a number of variations which could save you 1/2 lb. If a micro headlamp isn't your think the Zebralight if you are mostly using it around camp.

4oz… snow stake to replace the shovel

~11 lbs (1lb on feet = 5.6lbs on back) Switch from hiking boots to trail runners that are comfortable. I like Inov-8 Flyroc 310 (size 11, 24oz). Not for everyone, but there is a light weight trailrunner out there for you. In continuous subfreezing conditions switch to vapor barrier socks.

12oz don't carry extra pants. The pair you are wearing will mostly dry in 30 minutes. If they don't, swap to some other good quality supplex hiking pants which will.

~4oz… small pocket knife or benchmade 530 folder to replace kershaw roughneck. I used to carry a fixed blade and in deep backcountry (middle of alaska) still would. But I found in the most destinations a small knife has been completely adequate.

15oz… I would leave the the saw behind. If I really wanted a saw I would dig out my old wire saw which worked well enough.

0-16oz depending on model: down quilt replace montbell superstretch sleeping bag. Not everyone likes quilts, but I have found them to be the most comfortable sleeping insulation on >20F trips.

4.4oz… leave sleeping bag liner behind. It doesn't add that much warmth for it's weight. If you are bring it to keep bag clean and/or because you sleep much better in it then fine.

Stove/Pot: For 3 season solo trips (don't need to melt snow for water) I recommend alcohol stoves (maybe esbits) and a 700-900ml pot. The most fuel efficient pot I have found is the .9L Evernew/REI Ti pot… though there are some mug pots which can be a bit lighter/more compact. The Caldera Cone light of stoves has been very popular.

2lbs gossamer gear the one rather than the copper spur. If you want more room but heavier I would look at the other ultralight shelters from gossamer gear, tarptent.com, six moon designs, and shaped tarps + bug protection from mountain laurel designs.

14oz (actually more because of swing weight) gossamer gear lightrek 4 poles rather than the leki poles.

Hydration system… I really love the Playpus Big Zip SL which is HEAVIER than the basic bladder. This is one place I might add weight rather than take it away.

MISSING

Map & Compass

Insulated Jacket or Vest: if you don't immediately get into sleeping bag when you stop hiking and the temp is < 40F. I use a WM Flash Down Vest whic is 4.5oz. Montbell makes a number of great hot loft insulating pieces.

Wind/Rain Shell: Lots of choices. I like the DriDucks Jackets. They are cheap and weight 6oz. I typically don't bother with rain pants.

"bathroom" items: soap, toothbrush, toothpaste (I use baking soda which is multi-use), bandanna or pack towel (I like carrying an ultralight pack towel size small, .9oz), maybe TP

keys/wallet… so you can get back into your car or if you can't, your body can be easily IDed.

camera… to help you remember the experiences.

Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools