Topic

First Ascent Jackets

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) First Ascent Jackets

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Jack Newton

@figster

Locale: Central Arkansas

Anyone ever looked at these jackets before? Somehow they bombed my email address with some ads and got me to look.

Their
    down sweater
    looks promising.

I emailed them about the weight of the fill and this is what they sent:

First Ascent Downlight Sweater, Item #i01 792 3961 (weights are in oz)

S M L XL XXL
    3.47 3.84 4.16 4.5 4.81

First Ascent Downlight Sweater Limited Edition, Item #i01 792 4228 (weights are in oz)

S M L XL XXL
    3.61 3.88 4.17 4.51 4.85

They seem like good jackets. What do you guys say?

Jack

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

i, too, have seen them via emails. they look nice and if i didn't already have a down sweater i like, i'd probably check one out. apparently eddie bauer has gotten back into the outdoors with their first ascent program.

cna't go wrong w/ the 800 fill down for those prices. warrantly likely unquestioned as well

Boozer
    BPL Member

@anywayoutside

Locale: South East

Montbell Alpine Light Jacket –

Lighter by 2oz. – 11.3oz Total Weight
    Higher Fill Weight – 4.0oz of 800 fill
    Cheaper – MSRP $160

Specs based on size Medium as given on MB's site.

http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=70&p_id=2301289

647575757 3

@686425

They sponsored the mountain film fest here in Telluride. I got a down vest from them for being a volunteer. Very well made and should last for a long time. Most likely too heavy for most on this forum though. It's definitely comparable to Patagonia in quality.

And I knew someone would say something about comparing it to a paper thin Montbell jacket.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

It's nice to see Eddie Bauer starting to make some real gear again, although most of it is too heavy for my tastes. I was reading the First Ascent catalog last week and there was a lot of hype and claims about it being the most revolutionary gear. I thought the gear was revolutionary for Eddie Bauer, but pretty average stuff for the industry.

Jolly Green Giant
    BPL Member

@regultr

Locale: www.jolly-green-giant.blogspot.com

Feathered Friends:

Hyperion (Medium)
    5.2 Fill, 11 Total

Helios (Medium)
    8 Fill, 15 Total

Nunatak (Cha-ching):

Skaha (Medium)
    6 Fill, 11.5 Total

Boozer
    BPL Member

@anywayoutside

Locale: South East

Rich – if you care not to generalize MB Jackets, and actually read the spec sheet you would notice the Alpine Light Jacket has a 30d ripstop shell – not exactly paper thin. EB doesn't provide the fabric weight of their Down Sweater shell online or even with a phone call. ;)

I'm not saying the EB is junk I'm sure it is fine – it's just nothing special nor inexpensive.

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Locale: Rocky Mountains

No kidding. My wife has worn her MB alpine light jacket almost every day for at least 6 months out of the year. I bet she's got 300+ days in the thing? It's been washed once or twice and she's not exactly gentle with it and she teaches kindergartners who are not gentle and it doesn't have a single hole in it! I am impressed.

Patrick Caulder
    BPL Member

@pcaulder

Locale: SouthEast

Another possible selling point for the First Ascents are the fact that they have tall sizes, but I have never tried one. More than happy with my MB.

Elisa Umpierre
    BPL Member

@eliump

Locale: Midwest

I am 5'3.5" and 130 pounds (female). I ordered a petite medium DOWNLIGHT SWEATER and I am very happy with the fit. The sleeves rest comfortably at my wrists but could be pulled down to my knuckles. The back of the top goes just short of half way down my butt with the front sitting where a low-rise style jean would. The jacket/sweater is clearly cut with the women's form in mind as I have enough room in the chest and a comfortably flattering waist. With the top on less than a minute I immediately felt its warming properties at work. Weighing the jacket for myself it came in at an almost not there 9 ounces! Out of curiosity I put my Marmot Precip (size s/p) jacket on over the sweater to see if this could be a complete, weatherproof system without causing the down to lose is heat-trapping loft. It worked great! I have not field tested this seemingly wonderful new piece of gear but by all accounts I am extremely pleased with my purchase.

Kimberly Wersal
    BPL Member

@kwersal

Locale: Western Colorado

If I didn't already have a MB Down Inner and Alpine Light down jacket, I'd be looking into these. As it is, I'm looking at one for my sister for Christmas (one of the Yukon Classics–she's not a BPer). There is a 20% off coupon code with their catalog which makes a purchase more appealing.

Jeff Patrick
    BPL Member

@callmeammo

whats the code?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools