Topic

Duo mid?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Duo mid?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Jace Mullen

@climberslacker

Locale: Your guess is as good as mine.

Hey all!

I am considering getting the Duo mid for my Philmont trek, and was wondering how the dou mid will do in winter. I know that there will be no snow in Philmont in the summer, but am curious. Do you do anything different in the winter that you wouldnt do in the summer? Different pitches (i guess?)?

Anything else I should know about it in the winter?

Thanks!

-CS

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Locale: Duluth, Minnesota

The only thing I've done with the DuoMid in the winter is pitch it low to the ground to keep snow out. In very windy conditions I've buried the edges of the pyramid tarp in the snow.

Oh you have to be sure and stomp down the snow for your center trekking pole but other than that I don't do much with the DuoMid.

Jace Mullen

@climberslacker

So no real differences? What kind of groundcloth do you use? Ive heard mention of a painters dropcloth. And thanks for the tip about packing down the pole area well!

-Jace

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Locale: Duluth, Minnesota

I don't use a footprint unless the temps are supposed to get above freezing while I'm out. When I do use a footprint it's a pice of sillnylon with a small hole (1/4")cut in the center to allow my trekking pole to fit through.

Jay Cramin

@jcramin

Locale: South

We had a snowball fight when I went to Philmont in July of 1998.

J

Jace Mullen

@climberslacker

interesting….

I guess I should worry about snow then. I will have a WM flash jacket by then, and (maybe) a Ultralight bag, so temp wise, it shouldnt be an issue, but i guess having a semi-four season tent wouldnt hurt… especially at 15.5 oz

-Jace

Jace Mullen

@climberslacker

I saw on the mountain laurel designs site that the duo mid can deal with "moderate snow loading". So, how moderate is moderate?

Thanks for all the help!

-Jace

G Foster McLachlan

@hunter13

Locale: NYS

Just came across this now-I asked Ron at MLD that question and I forget exactly what he said but it was something like 12-18 inches from what I remember-which sounds good to me. I was thinking moderate meant below 12 so Im good at these expectations.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"It might have been more bc I was thinking moderate meant below 12."

You need to consider the moisture content of the snow as well. 12" of Cascade cement is a lot heavier than 12" of Rocky Mountain powder.

G Foster McLachlan

@hunter13

Locale: NYS

Good point. But im in the northeast so Im in your boat. Moisture.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools