Topic

PCT Sonora Pass Emigrant Wilderness — August

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports PCT Sonora Pass Emigrant Wilderness — August

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

Locale: San Francisco

Just wanted to post a quick trip report w/pictures for a trip up to Sonora pass on the PCT. A friend and I started out at the pass and planned to make base camp at the top of Kennedy canyon for an ambitious daytrip to Dorothy Lake and over Big Sam. The first ten miles of the trip were all above treeline, with beautiful views, rated as one of the best stretches of the entire PCT.

We met some "friendly" bow-hunting "outdoorsmen" who were glad we weren't "Mexicorns". Did I mention they were friendly? But mostly had the trail to ourselves.

Unfortunately, we woke up to some really wet, windy weather and after waiting for it to clear for hours, decided to head back. The trail back to the car was very exposed and windy, so we dipped down towards Kennedy Meadow and ended up back at the road that way and hitched back to the car. We weren't the only ones who bailed unexpectedly this way.

Anyway, a beautiful area, and here are some photos. Some of the shots are obscured because the lens got wet:

Sonora Pass

PCT sonora pass

PCT sonora pass

PCT sonora pass

PCT sonora pass

PCT sonora pass

Great Campsite all to ourselves by Kennedy Creek:

PCT sonora pass

Another view w/Latopie Lake in background. From here you can see Yosemite's northern peaks. Well worth the effort:

Latopie Lake

Big sam above our campsite:

PCT sonora pass

Managed to get a fire going:

PCT sonora pass

Emigrant

Kennedy Meadow

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Beautiful shots Nate, thanks for posting them!

I've somehow not done that stretch. After seeing these shots I must correct that oversight soon.

Cheers,

Rick

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Cool stuff Nate–Being "Above Treeline" can be very interesting at times!

-Jay

David W.
    BPL Member

@davidpcvsamoa

Locale: East Bay, CA

Thanks for posting the great pics Nate. I am pulling out my Emigrant Wilderness map and imagining the possibilities for next summer. Your description makes the trip seem like a walk in the park. Looking at a map, you covered a good amount a ground.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools