Topic

Rae Lakes Loop, too late?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Rae Lakes Loop, too late?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Sean Walashek

@caraz

Locale: bay area

Is it too late in the year to squeeze this trip in? Wanted to leave tomorrow but this new weather system is throwing me off. Can I make it this year?

Thanks,

Sean

Dave T

@davet

Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

Locale: Central Valley

I'd guess we're done with high elevations unless serious 4 season camping is the plan.

Scott Bentz
    BPL Member

@scottbentz

Locale: Southern California

If Mammoth Mountain is any indication they say they have 3-4 feet from mid-mountain to the top. Even with rain at higher elevations I would imagine there is a few feet of snow on the passes.

Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

Locale: Central Valley

I could upload a picture of the Sierras – just drove over to drop a load of boxes at my new place and there's a pretty white blanket over most of the ridges and peaks. The weather's clearing early, it's quite beautiful even from the valley with all the clouds hugging some of the mountains.

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

The snow level increased progressively during the storm, but seemed to stall at 9k, at least in the northern Sierra. It would be prudent to anticipate feet of fresh snow at 10k and above, a lot of which will be there until next summer.

Plan B? There's still plenty of subalpine hiking to be done, and the dust will be history :-)

Cheers,

Rick

Leor Pantilat

@pantilat

Locale: Bay Area

I did the loop on October 24th in 12 hrs, 31 mins. It was 90% snow covered from Charlotte Lake junction to Rae Lakes and 60% snow from Rae Lakes to below Dollar Lake. The snow on the north side of Glen Pass had an icy crust with powdery snow underneath resulting in postholing knee deep (energy and time consuming). Otherwise, the snowcapped peaks were a spectacular sight. I'll link to a complete trip report soon, but here is a video link:

Hiker 816
    BPL Member

@hiker816

Locale: Denver

"I did the loop on October 24th in 12 hrs, 31 mins."

Nice video. I like your others, too. 12 and a half hours is pretty quick, particularly with postholing. What did you do for food, and what kind of pack did you use?

Leor Pantilat

@pantilat

Locale: Bay Area

Thanks!

Complete trip report with splits and many photos:
    http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=917823

Here is some info about what I used.

Backpack: I used the Deuter Futura 25 to carry all the extra warm clothing I brought (pants and jacket) and didn't really have to use. I typically use the Ultimate Direction Wasp on adventure runs.

Food: Powerbars, Gels, ShotBloks, SaltStick electrolyte capsules

Footwear: La Sportiva Fireblade

Headlamp: First time using the Petzl Myo RXP. While heavier, they provide ample light to run comfortably on rough trails at night.

I brought Kahtoola Microspikes and they turned out to be extremely helpful on the descent from Glen Pass.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools