Topic

sewing tyvek

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear sewing tyvek

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Bob Gabbart

@bobg

I’ve read a few times on these forums that you can’t sew tyvek. I just made a rock throw bag and a stake sack out of tyvek. Sewn by hand. They turned out fine. Am I missing something here?

Thanks
    Bob

Mike Barney

@eaglemb

Locale: AZ, the Great Southwest!

I think the primary issue in the past with sewing tyvek was mfg. recommendations (Hey, how many house builders sew house wrap???).

There are good articles onthe web about sewing tyvek:

http://www.ncf.carleton.ca/~ag384/TyvekSail.htm

In the past, most have:
    Used the official “Tyvek Tape”, which adds weight, is expensive and appears to be not much more than a good quality of strapping tape with “Tyvek” printed across it.

Can thermobond it but needed the right equipment as I understand it’s a very narrow working thermal range.

You can glue it with a glue whose name currently escapes me ( I expect most rubber cements would work).

Congratulations!

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

You CAN sew Tyvek, but 1) it will leak, 2) it will tear on the stitch lines. If you hand sew it – as you did – you may have used a whip stitch which is the best one to use on Tyvek.

The glue to use is either Barge’s cement or plain old Duco household contact cement. Both give a bond stronger than the Tyvek and both are flexible and waterproof.

Bob Gabbart

@bobg

Thanks for the info Vick. Well, I guess I’ll see how it holds up. Next time I’ll try the glue.

TRACY ANDRUS

@andrustl

I new here but when it comes to sewing tyvex I know you can sew a 9 foot by a 100 foot roll into a giant tube and run 200+ Vacation Bible School kids through it for a couple of hours and have no seam failures. I thought the stuff was super durable including the seam. Hope this helps.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

I made a great little stuff sack out of a recycled Post Office envelope. It’s a simple process and makes a really sturdy bag so far as I can tell. I’ve only had it on the trail for maybe ten days but the machine-stitched seams are holding up well so far.

Dwight Shackelford

@zydeholic

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

This popped in my head today as I was driving from getting some more Walmart fabric.

For a bathtub floor, or just floor, or for whatever purpose this makes sense, what about gluing a fabric lip around the edge of the tyvek, and then sewing to the lip.

Connie Foster

@conniejfoster

You can sew it by machine. Here is a link describing how to sew it, by the manufacturer. http://www.materialconcepts.com/pdf/tyvek-sewing-instructions.pdf Some of the problems mentioned in other posts have to do with which type you use. Also, since it mentioned loopers in one description I figured it meant you could use a serger, since sewing machines don't have loopers. I used the same thread & needles recommended and it worked fine and is holding up.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

>For a bathtub floor, or just floor, or for whatever purpose this makes sense, what
    >about gluing a fabric lip around the edge of the tyvek, and then sewing to the lip.

The problem is finding an adhesive with the right characteristics that works well with both fabrics.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools