Topic

Alfredo Sauce?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

@trooper

I recently had some of the Enertia Trailfoods Allegheny Alfredo Noodles. I would like to make something similar, but I don't have a dehydrator. Is there a recipe for making an alfredo sauce that only water is needed? I'm assuming that the noodles would be the dried noodles from the grocery store?

Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

Locale: Central Valley

Cooking and dehydrating pasta will make it easily rehydrated by adding boiling water. Your oven will work as a dehydrator; wedge the door open with a wooden spoon and set the temp low, 300-350F. The food can be spread on a cookie sheet or silicon mat. You can get just-add-water alfredo sauce in dry form – all kinds of brands, including Knorr. Some of them want you to add butter, but olive oil works too.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

I agree w/Lori: Knorr works. Add to ramen w/foil pack of crabmeat and a touch of cayenne & garlic. Ummmmmmmmmmmmm.

Delicious in almost no time.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

Your temperature for oven dehydrating should by 170°F or lower. Having it at 300-350°F will further cook the food and you will end up with overcooked food rather than dehydrated. Just saying.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Knorr or Simply Organic Alfredo sauce packets, add powdered milk and some olive oil. Easy and quite good!

@trooper

I'm assuming that I can get these in the pasta section of my local grocery store? If I must add olive oil, what is the easiest and lightest way to transport small amounts?

Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

Locale: Central Valley

Yep, I shouldn't bake cornbread and post without coffee. Should be lower, lower temps.

As for olive oil, you can get packets of it at minimus.biz. Tons of other stuff there that's good for backpacking.

jim draucker
    BPL Member

@mtnjim

Locale: Shenandoah Valley VA

I believe Subway has little packets of olive oil in their to go condiment section.

Jim

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

AS, they usually have them with the pasta, if not look in the section where gravy mixes are sold. Some stores do that instead!

As for olive oil? Either minimus.biz or packitgourmet.com for the 1 Tbsp packets – you can get organic as well. No mess, no fuss. 1 Tbsp is perfect for a packet of sauce.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools