Topic

Drying in an oven

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Drying in an oven

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    John Devitt
    BPL Member

@cabana

Locale: Colorado

Hello guru Foodies,
    I am in the process of learning how to improve my trail fare. I have learned to steam bake, thank to the this great forum. Now I need to learn how to dehydrate some shredded meat, mainly chicken & beef, in my oven. I do not have a drying machine currently. Thanks in advance!
    Regards,
    John

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

John,

You can use your oven. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper (not waxed paper) and spread the shredded meat on it. Set the oven to 170°F or lower and prop the oven door open with a wooden spoon. You'll have to watch the food carefully (check it frequently) until you get an idea of how long your oven will take to dry it. Every oven is slightly different and drying times will vary depending on that and factors like the size of the food and the humidity of your kitchen.

John Devitt
    BPL Member

@cabana

Locale: Colorado

Laurie Ann,
    Thanks for the advise. It worked like a champ. I think I left it in a tough too long, as it rehydrated with a bit of a chewy texture to it. I do like the taste, and the texture does add a bit of excitement to my normal rice & pasta.
    Regards,
    John

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

John… read my comments in this thread for advice on rehydrating difficult ingredients like chicken…

Chicken and beef rehydration

edited to properly format URL

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools