Topic

searching for info about Torres del Paine – Brazo Sur

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips searching for info about Torres del Paine – Brazo Sur

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Fred eric
    BPL Member

@fre49

Locale: France, vallée de la Loire

I am still trying to plan an hike for next year in Patagonia.
    Torres del Paine looks great but its heavily travelled and even the circuit is a bit short for the time my wife and i wish to hike.

Last idea would be to start from El Calafate, to take a ride then hike to Torres del Paine,
    Only info i found is the 1/250 000 "parque nacional Los Glaciares" and some satellite view like :

http://maps.nationalgeographic.com/map-machine#s=h&c=-50.763825043176475,%20-73.06440353393556&z=12

I am wondering if :
    – Brazo Sur to Lagos Frias
    – Lago Frias to Lago Dickson or Rio de los Caiquenes crossing around Cerro Daudet is doable

Brazo Sur

or if i should choose a more eastern route.

then we would join Lago Dickson or Paine and do circuit or W according to the time we have left

Lago Paine

anyone hiked in that area and know if crossing in cerro Daudet area is doable ?

Fred eric
    BPL Member

@fre49

Wasnt meaned to be an hiking guide but i found some interesting info and "map" on this website :

http://www.portal-patagonico.com.ar/paginas/2007/09/86/lo_que_el_hielo_nos_dejo_y_los_mapas_no_cuentan/Cerro daudet

backpackerchick
    BPL Member

@backpackerchick

x

Me in front of the mega refugio with a convenience store, enormous cafeteria and a boat delivering day walkers. Jan 2008

Beautiful. Must see. Easy. Windy and WET. Tourist Attraction. Circuit could easily be done in 5 relatively short days but you might want to spend 10. Weather is not always conducive to marveling at the beauty. Some side trips. On the front side there is a shorter walk dubbed the "W" that utilizes refugios. Hence it is more crowded on the front side. The back side has maintained (pay) campgrounds. There is no wild camping. The campgrounds have a lean to with a roaring fire and a store selling gaz (screw tops for sure), beer, wine, bikkies, some instant dinners. Free HOT showers. A couple camp grounds had rent a tent colonies. Some people I met did a three day kayak trip out of the park — well catered and no prior experience required. They loved it.

Lonely Planet Trekking in the Patagonian Andes
    Footprints Patagonia for more general info

Great trail maps available everywhere in Puerto Natales.

Had planned to do the walk around Fitzroy but fell ill. :(

I think the info you are seeking may well be in the LP book. There is a long distance trail under construction and parts are in good shape.

DO THE CIRCUIT for sure! Must see the towers from all possible angles.

Keep in mind there are some disputed border issues in the region. Do not know how this might effect your plan. I don't mean to imply that it is dangerous just that there may be some inconveniences.

Fred eric
    BPL Member

@fre49

thanks for the info :)

yes i have both lonely planet books and i found plenty of online ressource about Torres del Paine.

But we are looking for hiking more than 10 days and we would like to see some area less travelled than the Torres del Paine, thats why we were thinking on doing it plus something else like :

– North : the hike to Brazo Sur accros Lago Dickson and Lago Frias.

-SE : lago del toro / lago porteno
    -SW : Lago Brush then hiking next to glaciar Serrano

backpackerchick
    BPL Member

@backpackerchick

THey are located in this hostel:
    http://www.hihostels.com/dba/hostels-Puerto-Natales-012009.en.htm

There are some guys in the travel/adventure agency at this hostel in Puerto Natales that know such things! For sure. Before I fell ill, I had discussed some more elaborate plans with them. Some of them speak English if this is helpful. If you don't get the info you need, insist on talking to a different one or ringing back on a different day. Might try emailing them.

I vaguely remember someone suggesting the SW option.

backpackerchick
    BPL Member

@backpackerchick

NOTE: I JUST CHANGED THE LINK!!!

http://www.hihostels.com/dba/hostels-Puerto-Natales-012009.en.htm

They will have someone who can help you! May have to try different times of the day.

backpackerchick
    BPL Member

@backpackerchick

You will find excellent tips and contacts in this English language newspaper.

http://www.patagoniablacksheep.com/

Fred eric
    BPL Member

@fre49

will look into these asap .

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

The Circuit is one of the great hikes of the world. If you go all that way you MUST do the circuit. Some nearby alternatives/add ons – Valle Ascensio (to the Towers themselves), Valle Frances (we were blocked by high water), Rio Pingo (a bridge was out), Lago Nordenskold (wonderful views). As noted above the Circuit isn't all that difficult, so save some time for your other exploring

James Castleberry

@winterland76

I was lucky enough to do the circuit back in the mid-90s and it remains the gold-standard in terms of my hiking experiences. The turqoise lakes are stunning and the mountains of Paine are some of the most striking on earth. Glacier-fed streams and rivers. But be prepared for wind like you've probably never experienced before. Lots of layers. I really envy you. And Chilean wine to boot.

Fred eric
    BPL Member

@fre49

Thanks for the answers :)

I meaned i wanted to do the circuit but its 6- 10 days usualy for most people, so even if we do it in 10 days wich i doubt we will have at least 6 more day to hike.

thats why i am looking for an add on , starting from Torres del paine ( or ending there , still undecided on doing paine first or at the end )
    and if there is a huge wealth of info on the circuit, i didnt find much except what i posted above for doing a trip to the north to Argentina or to the south, staying in Chile.

Ian White

@deuceregular

Locale: Southern Jefferson

The Torres del Paine extensions seem interesting. I am planning on going there in early march, and I am also interested in other treks in the Patagonia.

The extension are a good start, but can anybody recommend another "must do" trek in Patagonia?

backpackerchick
    BPL Member

@backpackerchick

Most I met in Paine Park were also walking in the area of Fitzroy. There is a short loop and other options. Barioche has possibility too.

As mentioned above, prepare for phenomenal wind and rain! Plan on getting wet even if well equipped. 4-season tent good idea. Synthetic bag too. Even in January, be prepared for wet freezing temps and snow.

Fred eric
    BPL Member

@fre49

I couldnt find info on hikes to do in that area without lots of people.
    Its normal they try to protect the environement by channeling people in trail / refuge.
    And while i enjoy the company of other hikers,i prefer a thousand times seeing close to no one for a week or two.
    The contact i had with the half dozen people met on 1 or 2 weeks without resupply hikes were very different than when you meet lots of people every day on a "motorway" trail like GR 20, WHW etc..
    Thats why i try to find hikes with none or poor resupply possibilities.

So as most refuges close end of april in that area, i have booked our flights for end of april / may.
    I had a talk with a Torres del paine parque guard, he said its deserted once the refuges are closed and its still very doable to hike there.

Not decided yet wich shelter my wife and i will take, but surely not a tent.
    I am hesitating between my MSR twin sisters, about 820g with the modification i made.
    Its bombproof, and was tested in Iceland wind, need less anchorage points so easier to set on snow.
    And the snow flaps are nice if there is lots of wind + snow falling.

ts vercors

Or my kifaru para tipi 930g,much more room, less condensation if use a 320g Myog inner ( silnylon / nanoseeum )
    but more anchorages points so more stake weight and longer to set up on snow

ptipi

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools