Topic

UST Wetfire Stove

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) UST Wetfire Stove

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    David Spaedt

@alwaysone

I saw a demonstration video on using an Esbit tab and the video producer said scraping off just a bit of the corner of the cube with a knife so it crumbles helps it light easier.

I've always done it this way so I can't comment on wether or not it improves the ability of the cube to light. With a lighter they light pretty darn easy anyways.

Mark McLauchlin
    BPL Member

@markmclauchlin

Locale: Western Australia

Great photos there Mike, nice work.

Sorry I havent posted the video comparison of the two, I have been overseas with limited access to internet.

I did however make the video, tried to upload last week, however got bumped when Youtube has a 10 min video limit.

I will chop it up and repost in the next few days as I am headed home now (currently at Singapore airport).

As a quick few notes, the Esbit out ran the UST Tinder by a long shot, from memory it was about 6 minutes for the Tinder vs 12+ for the Esbit. They seem to burn completely different, flame on the Esbit is more consitant and controlled whereas the Tinder just burns like a raging fire then just as quickly extinguishes itself.

To answer the question of scraping some of the tab before lighting, well the video answers that two, both ignite without doing so, although I did use a lighter in this case and in a controlled area with no wind.

The UST does light easy in unfavourable conditions if a small amount of the tab is scraped off firstly.

Cheers
    Mark

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

OH Mike!!!

I like how it all fits in the mug, including WOODBURNER MODE!!

I made a similar setup for esbit, but instead of Ti used foil ovenliner. Fits in my Tibetan 550 perfectly.

To be able to burn wood, too is great. I like your setup.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

BPL sells FireLite fuel tabs & I bought the small carton of FireLite tabs since I use my Vargo Triad EX base W/ ESBIT tabs quite a bit. That combo of the Triad EX base W/ 2 fuel tabs at a time & my MSR foil windscreen gets me hot meals at any temperature.

I prefer the slightly higher heat of the FireLite tabs to the ESBIT tabs. They both smell like fish. (That now makes THREE things that smell like fish. Hee, hee)

Eric

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I think firelite = wetfire, the stove looks identical to me- so I'm guessing the fuel tabs are well

I didn't notice much odor (or smoke) w/ the Esbit- both w/ the Wetfire

one tab of Esbit looks like it will be more than enough for my needs (600 pot w/ 1.5 cups water)

I'll have to try shaving the Esbit tab a little, although the birthday candle worked pretty well

Mark McLauchlin
    BPL Member

@markmclauchlin

Ok, finally a video of the two to compare, had some technical difficulties;

Esbit vs UST WetFire Tinder

Cheers
    Mark

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

thanks Mark for posting that- clearly demonstrates the Wetfire makes a great fire starter, Esbit makes a great stove fuel :)

Mark McLauchlin
    BPL Member

@markmclauchlin

To add to this,

I had a bad experience with the WetFire over the weekend, attempted to boil water for two, approximately 700 ml and the WetFire failed to get the water to even a luke warm temperature. This was in a sheltered location, with a windshield.

The flame was all over the place and performed really bad :(, I ended up having to boil over an open fire, which was actually enjoyable, however had there been fire restrictions in place it would have been a cold hungry night.

Cheers
    Mark

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

my wetfire tinders will be limited to one (couple in the winter) for emergency fire starting- Esbit is the clear choice for the stove

Mark McLauchlin
    BPL Member

@markmclauchlin

I agree Mike,

Cheers

Michael Hollar

@ralloh

I hadn't seen this previously but just wanted to add my 2 ruppia to this conversation. I love Wetfire for a fire starter … light weight and easy to store in my survival kit. That's pretty much where it ends. Like in the video … it ashes over and unless you flick the ash off it slows to a crawl before it burns up. Then there's the soot that's worse than buring pitch pine!!

I really like the little Ti UST stove but it's a lot more user friendly with Esbit.

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools