Topic

Marmot Hydrogen 30 – Sizing

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Marmot Hydrogen 30 – Sizing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Paul Wozniak

@paulw

Locale: Midwest

I have two questions re the Hydrogen 30 and need to decide fast. It's $203- out the door at REI. 20% discount ends 10/18.

I've been salivating over the WM Megalite for it's combination of 30F bag with low weight and broad shoulders. It's sized right for me. It's also $350 with few deals to be found.

The Hydrogen looks like a good compromise considering I can get it for $150- less. Momma may not be happy but she'll have 150 fewer reasons to put me out with the dog.

Question: Will the 62" shoulders be sufficient with a Thermawrap jacket on? How about the length?

Stats:
    5'11-3/4" tall
    Weight 200, coat size 46.
    Side sleeper

Thanks for your input. I have until Sunday to decide.

Paul Wozniak

@paulw

Seems that the 20% REI member discount applies to "non-sale items". Lowers the price difference with the WM Megalite to $100-. Still the questions stand, but the dog may have to make room for night or two.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I'm 6'0, 200 # size 44 and find the regular very much to my liking- I'm glad I didn't get the long as it would have been wasted space/weight

In contrast I had a WM Summerlite and it was fine length wise, but too restrictive for my liking (side sleeper might have something to do w/ it)

Mike

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Paul, maybe I can help here. After reading your post, I went down to the basement, put on my Thermawrap jacket, slipped into a green '09 Hydrogen (long), and zipped it up fully. I'm almost the same measurements as you, but with a 44" chest. I think it will fit the way you want it to, with a bit of extra room to spare.

Now, here's Mama's problem–the sale price will be $254, not $203. The 20% discount can only be had on full-priced items. Being already on sale, the Hydrogen doesn't qualify. Still, if Mama throws you out, you'll have a fine bag to sleep in while you're wedged between a couple of warm dogs.

Edit-Looks like you figured out the 20% thing. I'll also mention that the long version has 2" extra girth from shoulder to foot, compared with the regular length. The regular might be a bit constrictive for what you want to do. Then again, it might just be OK.

Inaki Diaz de Etura
    BPL Member

@inaki-1

Locale: Iberia highlands

I'm 5'7" and 142 lbs and the regular Hydrogen fits me fine with room to spare. The shoulder girth is generous enough for something like a Thermawrap and I actually find it a good compromise between fit and versatility. I have narrow shoulders though but 62" is still quite generous.
    The Hydrogen is a very nice bag. I mostly use quilts now but this is the one bag I still keep and use in the fall/spring when I expect temps that might be too low for my summer quilt.

Paul Wozniak

@paulw

Thanks all for the info. I think the hydrogen will do it for me. Even though it will cost me $50- more than I originally thought I do believe I will pull the trigger tomorrow.

Brad Fisher
    Spectator

@wufpackfn

Locale: NC/TN/VA Mountains

Paul,

I think you will like the bag. I'm 5'10", 172 pounds with 44 chest and have no problem. I use a patagonia sweater in cold temps and have plenty of room. I have easily pushed this bag to 25 degrees.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools