Topic

JMT food postmortem

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition JMT food postmortem

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Nancy Kim

@scribblernancy

I just returned from a JMT thru-hike and must give this forum's contributors thanks for all the ideas/recipes/helpful tips regarding food. Thanks in particular to Sarah whose trailcooking.com website proved invaluable. I used several recipes from Sarah's site. The pecan chicken salad for lunch was fantastic and a nice break from peanutbutter.

With the help of the online community, I was able to make all my own food for the trip. I made some complete meals in a dehydrator, such as Spaghetti Bolognese and Chicken Curry, while others were concocted from instant mixes and pasta, rice or quinoa I dehydrated.

I caught plenty of trout with my fly rod so the fish frys were fabulous. I seasoned the fish with olive oil (in packets), garlic, salt, and wrapped them in foil and cooked them under hot coals for 10 minutes. After cooking and deboning the fish, I added parmesan and True Lemon…divine!

Other thoughts: Nestle Nido is great. Starbucks Via is overpriced. The cheeseburger and fries at the Whitney Portal store might as well have been Julia Childs' Beef Bourgignon.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

Sounds like you had a great time. The fish sounds wonderful. Nothing better than fresh fish.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Nancy, awesome to hear you had a good trip :-)

There is something to be said about a burger after, eh? Greasy and good!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools