Topic

Suitable fabric for gaiters?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Suitable fabric for gaiters?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Thomas Gauperaa
    BPL Member

@gauperaa

Locale: Norway

I'm planning to make some short gaiters for summer and fall use. The pattern I'll use will probably the one on http://www.andersj.se or the one in the "Sew and repair your outdoor gear" book".

Any suggestions on which fabric to use and where to source it?

Tohru Ohnuki

@erdferkel

Locale: S. California

Dyneema Gridstop from thru-hiker.com? It's 200denier packcloth with dyneema, strong and light, but it's coated so it might make your legs sweat… Or uncoated 200D nylon packcloth from seattlefabrics?

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

Personally, I like stretch gaiters. They don't provide walking music.

Spandura is very durable Cordura Spandex, and will just about never wear out. I have about 2500 miles and a lot of trail work on one pair. Spandura is expensive. However, the light Spandex used for women's swim suits seems just as good, and you can sometimes find enough on the $1.00 sale table at fabric stores. I have over 2,000 miles on a pair made of the light Spandex. They are getting ragged, but so what?

I no longer use a closure on stretch gaiters, just pull them on over my socks, then put the shoes on.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools