Topic

MYOG 15.3 gram Inflatable Pillow Version 0.1

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG 15.3 gram Inflatable Pillow Version 0.1

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    >> Bender <<
    BPL Member

@bender

Locale: NEO

I have been toying with the idea of making an inflatable pillow and possibly a sleeping pad. This is the very first creation. As you can see where I inflated the pillow it has been sealed. I didn't use a valve since this was just a test. I wanted to see how durable the material was and how the seams hold up. A 72x20x2.5" pad made of this would weigh 11oz with the valve.

15gPillow

Here are some numbers.
    Weight: 15.3g
    Size: 12×6
    Material: special coated ripstop nylon

For testing I have been sitting on the pillow for quite some time with no signs of trouble. I tried the bic pen test with some scraps and it is reasonably durable for its weight. Of course I was able to puncture it but it took a decent amount of force.

David Wills

@willspower3

Nice work. Is that 30D heat sealable nylon? Sounds like a winner. I've been toying with the idea of making a DAM out of it, but I can't find a valve. I dont think the thermarest valve kit comes with the male part that bonds to the fabric, but I may be wrong. Any ideas on a valve?

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Nice work…I actually just added a "UL Pillow" to my list of things to make. I picked up one of the thermarest valves and am going to see if I can make a small plastic piece to aid in mounting it to the pillow.

How did you end up sealing the sides of your pillow? Is it permanently sealed then?

>> Bender <<
    BPL Member

@bender

Locale: NEO

The material is 30d heat sealable nylon so I used an iron to seal the sides. Getting just the right temp on the iron was a bit tricky. Something like a MonoKote iron would probably be better. I actually have a replacement valve but I will need to figure a way to adapt it to fit. The pillow with a valve could easily be under an ounce.

Gary Boyd

@debiant

Locale: Mid-west

David the Therm-a-rest valve kit is complete, and includes a hot bonding agent. I have one in my closet.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools