Topic

New gear for the trek

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Scouting Philmont New gear for the trek

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Warren Maslowski

@cqber

Locale: Southeast

I plan on going to Philmont with the OA next summer and was looking into getting some new gear (well clothes mostly). I really need some hiking pants and shirts (T-shirts) and a jacket, and looking into getting a new backpack wouldnt be a bad idea either. Thanks

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

What is your budget? We all have great ideas but we need some guidance as to what you plan on spending on all the stuff-

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Get Starter shirts from Wallyworld; great price, and you won't care if you tear one up working. I'd look at ULA packs, see if they will give you a Scout discount.

Warren Maslowski

@cqber

Well my budget is pretty much anything under $100 (except for the pack and jacket). I have been looking into the ULA Catalyst or the circuit, but I personally prefer external frames, dont know to many UL externals

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Hiking Pants: store brand such as Campmor and REI have been fine. I have found that Mountain Hardware pants seem to be fit ME a bit better. I generally have found ex officio to be a bit lighter than many other supplex pants. I have been tempted by pants from Rail Rider… but I am waiting for my current pants to wear out first. Looks for pants with the features you like and fit.

Tee-shirt… I have been very happy with a Terramar Micro Mesh Tee that I purchased a couple of years ago from Campmor for something like $15. Some people would want more tha UPF 15 protection though. There are lots of good choices. I recommend some odor resistant option: Powerdry + xstatic, visaendurance, or merino wool.

Jacket: My choice would be a light down (or high loft synthetic) vest from montbell and a rain jacket from driducks. Lots of options thought.

More thoughts on my recommended clothing page

Jace Mullen

@climberslacker

Locale: Your guess is as good as mine.

im assuming your a youth.

Cuz Im going to OATC next year also! Maybe we'll see each other. FWIW Im going to be going with a ULA Circuit and a montbell UL inner parka. I don't know what shelter wise, so i would appreciate any lightweight options for this too

-CS

Warren Maslowski

@cqber

Nice we just might be in the same crew.
    I have been looking into getting a new pack but with the gear that I already have an external frame would be my best option. And I can't really find any that are lightweight and have somewhere around 3500-4000 cu in.

Jace Mullen

@climberslacker

Ya it would be pretty cool. Ive had the same pack since My first backpacking trip when I was 11. It is about 2,150 ci and a little baby of a thing. So Im saving up to get a ULA. I also need some new clothes for the trip, so i guess i have to get those too.

-CS

sean mccutcheon

@aldosean93

Locale: East Bay

I hiked 96 miles in August in a pair of Paramont Convertibles from The North Face. They held up great and were very comfortable. I also brought 3 DuoFold 85/15 tee's they were perfect. Exoffico boxer breifs are the best.

Jace Mullen

@climberslacker

The only problem i see for OATC is that I doubt I will have a lightweight buddy, which makes planning bringing LW gear distinctly more difficult then if I were going on a trek with my troop or my crew. I feel like I will end up carrying a heavy pack, just because I really can't bring all of the group gear for a week long trip, and then just hope someone is willing to go LW with me. Also, it will be impossible to get the entire crew to go that way.

Just some thoughts

-CS

Warren Maslowski

@cqber

Well what is your first planned week of going, if it's the same as mine, we'll be in luck. And at this moment carrying the pots and the tarp is my biggest concern.

Jace Mullen

@climberslacker

Ya we will, and I honestly don't remember. Also I am with you on the pots and fly. Do you have a PM set up?

-CS

Warren Maslowski

@cqber

Yes I do

Jace Mullen

@climberslacker

just sent you a message. Hopefully we will be on the same trek

-CS

Wesley Witt
    Spectator

@weswitt

Locale: Northwest

Depending on when you go you may not need a jacket. I was just at Philmont in early August. I brought a fleece jacket and never used it. It is one of the items I would not bring if I went again.

Jace Mullen

@climberslacker

What were the lows while you were there? I will most likley be going in early june or early july, so i guess I will just have to wait and see what I feel like I need.

-Jace

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Philmont weather can be variable and highly local (like all mountainous places). Add to that the fact that there's about a 4000 ft elevation difference between lowest and highest campsites …

Was there in mid July 2007 and did not need a jacket (slept at 10,000ft a few nights). Another crew from our contigent had an afternoon with heavy hail and it stayed cold enough that the hail did not melt overnight.

A classic YMMV situation.

Phil Barton
    BPL Member

@flyfast

Locale: Oklahoma

Jim is right YMMV. In June-July 2008 we wore our jackets most days. We seldom did this year in July. But when we were cold it would have been miserable without a warm layer.

Here we are freezing on top of Baldy. It's the coldest spot for our 2009 trip.On top of Baldy, Philmont July 2009

Ty Wagner

@ty27wagner

Locale: Wisconsin

deleted.

Conrad Stoll

@cnstoll

Carhartts.

I am completely serious. Carhartts.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools