Topic

JMT South Bound OCTOBER

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips JMT South Bound OCTOBER

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Michael Skwarczek

@uberkatzen

Locale: Sudamerica

my username is a reference to a John Barth novel, translated loosely to the Super Kitty. So, I'm gonna puss out on the late season JMT attack.

Actually, the general wisdom and possible realities gave sufficient pause to remind me of what my original intention on this trip was, it was all about solitude. Even to the point of not partaking in the high profile excitement of something like the JMT, or Whitney. No, those mountains will be there for another day. And I have nothing to prove there.

I am brewing a different itinerary just West of the JMT in Seq Nat Forest. Coming out of the Tableland Meadows from the Wolverton trailhead, doing a loop using the High Sierra Trail, maybe the Elizabeth Pass. It's coming together. And there will still be weather, and snow, and passes, only tamer, I think. But I'll be way out there, and very alone, for 7 days. Perfect.

cheers,
    -Michael

Laurence Beck
    BPL Member

@beckla

Locale: Southern California

Enjoy…

backpackerchick
    BPL Member

@backpackerchick

The tide has suddenly turned. My abilities are being OVER-estimated in a big way!

As for Whitney or a loop there in the area, weather predicted to be stable over the next week or so. Find Doug, the owner of the portal store and hostel on the Whitney Portal board. Whitney or a little 4 day loop would seem fine. You got a ton of decision points and you can get out of there pretty easy! Route finding unlikely to be much of a challenge especially if you've been up in that area before. The last half of the JMT could get tricky if you ditch west and the consumables to carry are over the top.

backpackerchick
    BPL Member

@backpackerchick

Think I'm gonna go up to Lone Pine, stay at the hostel and loll about for a bit. Have some time off. Do a little something. Not really acclimated (perfect chance to experiment with Diamox) and been sick for a couple weeks. Probably do Whitney again — maybe hanging on the mountain a couple nights. Maybe do that loop from the south. No endurance contest. Just get out there and play with gear think about techniques. Heck, if I'm really lazy or a storm moves in, I'll just hang out at the espresso parlor and plan my next trip.

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools