Topic

When Did You Begin UL?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique When Did You Begin UL?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    matthew murphy

@bern0416

Locale: Texas

Robert, that pic and commentary does my heart good. Makes me ever so grateful my son and daughter share the hiking experience with me.

Mike Barney

@eaglemb

Locale: AZ, the Great Southwest!

Immediately after my hip and knee joints screamed “Don’t ***EVER*** TRY THAT AGAIN” for about a week, regarding the carrying of a 50+ lb pack on a 10 mile / 3 day-er.

First real ultralight was 10 days at Philmont this June, carrying 24 – 30 lb pack (total pack weight including food & H2O). That included an extraneous 4 lbs of gear I believe I don’t really need. Coupled with Glucosamine / Condroition tabs, it was a great trip my knees and hips enjoyed.
    I’d really like to try Philmont in the future with a 20 lb pack, which I think I can achieve.

MikeB

ian wright

@ianwright

Locale: Photo - Mt Everest - 1980

My very first trip overseas was with hindsight, the destination I needed the least gear, but I had the most I ever took overseas and gotten lighter ever since. It’s learning by experience for me and the improvement in gear over the last 10 years makes a huge difference. And because I will replace something lightish with lighter and never get around to selling anything, I have far too much gear ! But I love it. This site which I only found recently is a big help.

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Matthew, my experience was very similar to yours. I went on a scout outing 2 years ago with a 60+ lb. pack. I ended up with Illio-tibial Band Syndrome, like you. After dealing with the pain of that, and a lot of physical therapy, I vowed it would never happen again. I recalled when I was a young scout, going on an 8 day, 60 mile trek in the high Uintas with a 33 lb. pack. Why was I so much smarter at 12? I figured I’m a grown man now, I can carry anything. I let my brawn supersede my brain. I found this site and put my brain to work. Let me take this opportunity to thank every one here. You’ve taught me in a short time what trial and error couldn’t have in the same time. I went on the same scout outing a couple of months ago with a 15 lb. pack. It was fun being able to compare the two outings. The funny thing is, I carried more stuff this time. My first-aid and survival gear is much improved. I actually had more insulation. I also carried juggling balls, which was a big hit with the scouts. I too, am a man obsessed. Every ounce is now carefully considered.

Dwight Shackelford

@zydeholic

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I am only just starting. I just did a 20 mile thing over the July 4th weekend, hadn’t backpacked in 20 years, made it, but am looking to lighten up. I had maybe 30-35 lbs on my back, and that was after our guide removed maybe 10 lbs, after I asked for some help before we started out.

I’m also a gadgety sort of guy, sew my own shirts when I get time, and love the idea of making my own stuff.

So, bought a Marmot Pounder bag, trying to make a G4 pack right now, and still pondering on the shelter, the toughest decision so far. Might be making a bivy too, but I don’t want to be claustrophic. The tarp thing makes me a little skittish, but, hey, we’ll see.

Dwight

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

well if the tarp thing is not for you. Look into a Tarp Tent by Henry Shires or one by Six Moon Designs. Also since you like to sew, there are a few places around on the web that has kits for tarp tents out there. By the time you weigh a ground cloth, bivy, and tarp it almost weighs the same as a tarp tent.

Dwight Shackelford

@zydeholic

I did look at the tarptent products by Henry, but I’m hesitant about them. The material does not seem too durable. I’m new at this though. I loved the room in them.

I do think he’s done a great job of innovating and designing them.

Dwight Shackelford

@zydeholic

I have been eyeing that Luna tent at Six Moons. Just would like to see one in person.

Summit CO

@summit

Locale: 9300ft

I just got my Tarptent Rainbow the other day. This thing is awesome. I can’t wait till Tuesday when I’ll use it. It seems durable enough to me, just use with a little care.

Bryan Redd

@lucylab

I’ve owned and used several Tarptent models, including the Cloudburst (both generations), the Rainbow and the Double Rainbow.

I have never experienced a failure with the fabric or the construction. Sometimes I use a groundcloth and sometimes I don’t, depending on where I’m going. A groundcloth is not necessary, but when I do use it I do so simply as added insurance.

Cheers,

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

With all ultralight gear, care is needed to inusre that you get the most mileage out of it. If you can 4-5 seasons out of the tent, then I would consider it a good investment.

Lorraine Pace

@sowthefrikan

As long as these are manufactured I’m not even looking at anything else. Not only are they so light that I can carry a Squall 2 as a solo shelter, they are the easiest tents I have ever set up. As a girrrrl I like having the netting and floor keep creepy-crawlies at bay. Have used mine in wind, sun and rain, and it’s been a solid performer.

Phil Barton
    BPL Member

@flyfast

Locale: Oklahoma

Yes, that is my experience as well with a Squall.

Bill Slade
    BPL Member

@billslade

Dwight,

I love my Lunar Solo from Six Moons, easy to set up and plenty of room for one.

Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools